The Lure Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,have purchased a Trident Prowler 13,just got the anchor trolley to fit this week and it should be hitting the salt and briney this weekend(weather permitting).Have been practising self rescues in the fresh so feel Ok about that.
I'm just after a few fishing tips though,thought about drfting bouncing xlayers,absolute worms and motherworms on the bottom with various jig heads(Noise,finnese,Tripple action,carolina fixed,searchers and football heads.Would this work?

Will be fishing over scars,sandbanks and probably beaching to fish the channel runoffs.
I'm new to the soft plastic fishing so wondering if the drift method would it work if so what heads to use with what softie.
And how far away from the Yak would you fish.Will be taking the hard lures of course to anchor and fish the exposed scars at low.

Bit of a long winded post I know but if anyone could help I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers guys In advance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Plastics

Well done on the purchase Daz....hopefully won't be far behind you, when i get a few weeks in me new job
under me belt....of up the road tommora hopefully have post on a bass or 3....and cheers for the pikolo thingy's
looking forward to giving um a whirl......

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hi Darren

Well done on the new yak,hope you have loads of fun and success on it.I certainly have.The great thing about a kayak is you can access all those rocky/sandy fast flowing ares which would be to dangerous for a boat to play around in.These areas I tend to stick to surface lures.My reason is a soft plastic/jig head getting snagged causes endless problems to free up in a fast flowing current.
Saying that I do use a side winder minnow or ball jig head and x slayer in deeper/cleaner water to fish closer to the bottom.The side winder minnow is massively underated,I modify mine to take a single treble hook.The standard ball jig head is all I use as I tend to keep it simple as possible.

As far as casting goes,cast as far as you want,normally at a angle to your drift is good.
I dont tend to anchor as its a recipe for a wet butt.

Dont know what wheels you have to transport your yak on the beach but the older styles center of gravity is to high and the yak tends to fall over ocassionally so a good tip it to not put your rods in the holders when cruising on bumpy/rock areas.I've got one of the new types and dont have this problem.

Also a safety leash on your paddle and rods are handy and if youre using a set of waders use a wading belt.

Hope this helps
Steve

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good luck for the weekend ****, no reports in the Scottish section yet,No pressure for the first mate Eh?

Thanks for the advice Stephen the wheels I have is a C-Tug are these Ok for stability? Hope so skint now(with the safety gear it soon adds up)But its bought now.

Thats part of the reason I bought the Yak theres plenty of shallow channels around here too shallow for boats.

When casting and drifting do you retrieve it or leave it out imparting action on the drift?

Thanks guys
Daz

·
Registered
228 Posts
Darren I also have the c-tug type and have had no problems.I changed the straps for those loading type that you can crank up the slack.Bought at B&Q for 5 bucks.
I tend to vary the retrieve alot and have no fixed method but tend to adapt to conditions on the day.

Enjoy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts