The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got out last night (along with Callum and Ritchie) for a quick session and chose a spot with some tide and a fair amount of wind blowing. To be honest it wasn't the best time to test a new rod but anyway...

Bass wise it was very quiet but there were plenty of snipe and a few pollack around until the light went; none took the bigger plugs I was trying.

The plugs were fairly flying out so I was happy on that score. Sensitivity was OK I thought as I battled a strong side wind around 20mph, but then when I switched to small SPs I was very pleasantly surprised to pick up a good pouting around the 1lb on a small paddletail and 7g head. Now don't get me wrong, that wasn't the original aim for this rod and the pouting wasn't a significant fish species or size wise, but I felt the rattling bite OK at around 35yds, which is saying something for a general purpose lure rod! Unfortunately we couldn't get to where we wanted to fish (despite two tries) but there's always next time.

More to follow...

·
Registered
623 Posts
Bought the 8ft today and was into fish within a couple of hours of waving it. Really nice bit of kit and handled a 3.5lb fish just lovely. SP's and hards(patchinko2) are a dream to work with it. A real all rounder. Well done Mr Shambrook et al!!!!

·
Registered
229 Posts
I had a waggle with 4 of the range the other day, quite impressed.

Tempted with the 7 or 8 footers, can't see the point of the 10ft one TBH!

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Me too. My local tackle shop has the range in, so had a waggle with them all from 7ft to 10ft. The 8ft 2 piece rod looked the pick of the bunch to me as an everyday plugger. I thought that the 7ft'er was a strange one, as it was rated up to around 35gms i think (from memory), and seemed very stiff - not sure what it's meant to be.

It'll be interesting to see how they perform in the salt.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a look at all of the range but was looking for a longer distance hard lure rod to fill a gap on my rod rack, so it was the 9'. The 7' and 8' look like great rods do it would be interesting to hear a report on one as Simon says. Test 2 for the 9' today if I can sneak an hour in.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I thought that the 7ft'er was a strange one, as it was rated up to around 35gms i think (from memory), and seemed very stiff - not sure what it's meant to be.
I had a look at this one yesterday and we said similar. However its a beautiful looking rod and I love the colour too

·
Registered
330 Posts
I think your right there ****. I cannot believe that five years ago I was plugging with a 10ft Carp Rod. Oh how times change!

·
Banned
792 Posts
still here in germany many seatrouters are still using 10feet rods with long one piece grips. But I can reach nearly the same range with my sakura shükan in 8.6feet and the combo with the 4000 Rarenium is much lighter and better balanced as most combos of friends of mine.

Cheers
Thomas

PS just found an byron tr10 7-25g S2 Spinning in 10feet in my rod cupboard and will try LRF with this long one ... ^^

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Try giving either **** at MrFish, or Ben at Art of Fishing, I think they both have them in stock

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Had mine arrive from jersey and its nice, not what I expected, more than i expected and gonna give it a proper run in tonight, alas a new reel was required, so that will get a run in too.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Niiiiiiiiice Mike! Be interested to see how the Airity goes too!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Definately interested in a review of both rod and reel.
Will be waiting to see what you think Mike.

·
2,560 Posts
Yeah, it is lighter than the certate, just got in, i'll post a review and catch report tomorrow:)

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
It's basically a Luvias ****, but without the machined handle and with a different spool material. Should be a lovely reel to use Mike!

·
2,560 Posts
Well i tried out the AFAW out last night, casting was good. It handled a good variety of plugs up to 30g, wasnt the conditions for the lighter ones so next time. Overall early impressions, cool, more use over time will decide for me personally. Alot of thought had gone into this rod so respect for all those concerned.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts