The Lure Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something I thought I'd share after the first half of 2010 comes to a conclusion.

I have alot of freshwater experience so that probably helps in what I'm describing but hold fire and think about this....

plug v's soft lure.

6 or 9 points vs 1.

OK, it's rare that 9 points stick but, quite often, with plugs, there is outside the mouth hook contact.
I was finding it quite difficult to figure out why it seemed to be that Bass were fighting harder on the plugs and we were subduing quite good Bass, 6 - 8lb plus on very light lines and small lighter weight hooks with rods many of you wouldn't consider suitable.

I have come to the conclusion that it is down, in part, to the hook hold.

It is rare to hook fish outside the mouth (small wrasse excepted) and I now firmly believe that the 'leading the fish' from the head scenario is what allows us to play and land these bigger fish with consummate ease.

I remember big chub on 22's, 1.7lb bottoms in fast rivers on waggler rods were tough but, with care, quite manageable even in snaggy water.

I'm finding Bass much the same with HRF.

I haven't posted this in the LRF / HRF section because I'd like some feedback on ....

How much easier, percentage wise do you think fish hooked inside are comparable to outside hooked or even foul hooked fish ?

I find it is considerably harder the further away from the inside top lip you get.

What do you think guys...

Mileage or not ?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Have to agree with you there Keith. I did more freshwater mainly long pole 8oz bottoms and 24/26 hooks landed carp to 7lb on that set up when lip hooked (with care) but found even 8oz roach when foul hooked or hooked outside the lip could be a right handful.Hooked a small perch in the tail once it gave one hell of a scrap.

·
Registered
540 Posts
personally I have always found that fish hooked outside the mouth can go as balistic as fish hooked inside the mouth regardless of the number of hooks that have taken hold. The main problem I find when a fish is hooked outside the mouth is the control over the fish!!!! Similarily depedent on the hook hold within certain positions in the mouth the same problem of control over the fish is a nightmare. A hook hold in the scissors though is my preferred position as you get tremendous hook hold and control over the fish but realistically how often does this happen? (unless your using circles) where possible after hooking a fish I will try and establish the hook hold as soon as possible as this dictates the way I play the fish. (Simon took a video of me playing a pike I hooked at Bosh earlier this year, if you watch the video the first thing I comment on is its`s size and how its hooked!!! As I say, I will always try an identify this asap where possible)

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Agreed on all counts about the foul hookers (including just outside mouth) being harder to get in. In addition though, I've mentioned it lots of times before, I really think that the harder you pull, the harder the fish pulls back. The softer rods used in LRF and HRF and the fact that lighter lines prevent you from really horsing fish, all add up to a less intense fight - perhaps a longer fight, but a less intense one.

For another coarse comparison, we've all landed carp on no.4 elastic. Take your time and they come in. Hook a carp on a 20 elastic (I.e. Your Rod Bar) and you get it in quicker (if your hook doesn't pull), but the fish will have been going ballistic in the process. If it'd fought that hard on your no.4 he'd have bottom you straight out and been gone. Rods are the same, and line stretch could be considered when you're not using braid.

Pole elastic isn't a bad thing to compare these rods to actually. Within your standard UK styles:

Japanese LRF rods = 3-6 elastic.

HRF rods (up to 30g perhaps) = 6-12 elastics.

Plugging rods = 12-20 elastic.

To reiterate my point, the heavier the rod you use, the harder they'll fight back - even if it's unintentional, your pulling harder. Big fish can obviously be landed on light rods and lines if they're given time. The one and only downside is that the longer you're playing a fish for, the more chance there is of a hook pulling.

Of coarse, this is in addition to foul hooked fish being harder again, and you're probably right Keith about plug caught fish being hooked outside the mouth more often, causing trouble.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts