The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yes yes i know i'm sorry it comes up every other day but i've got to ask

been using a an albright knot through the summer and i think i'm tying it ok however if i snag a lure up it seems to snap like cotton at the leader knot is it down to the fact that theres no stretch like on mono so it' more direct? it doesn't seem to me that im not pulling that hard before it goes
(said goodbye to a brand new flash minnow last night in this way:evil:)

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Hi col,ive stopped using the albright,especially with the ultra thin 8 strand braid,knots were snapping on the cast.I tie the uni to uni now and havnt lost a lure yet.cheers daz

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Uni to uni is my preference with the braid end doubled to make the knot neater (more even).

·
Registered
260 Posts
Another uni to uni here. Can never seem to get the Albright good enough to feel happy with it. Haven't had a uni to uni break on me so far, though I might try that doubling of the braid end.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I am more than happy with the albright. 7 turns up, 7 turns down, making sure to neatly coil the turns so they sit snug when pulled tight. If I am using my 8 strand, I double the braid up and just tie the knot the exact same way. I have never had problems with it, and regularly pull out of snags by hand, often straightening hooks in the process before the knot goes.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
yes yes i know i'm sorry it comes up every other day but i've got to ask

been using a an albright knot through the summer and i think i'm tying it ok however if i snag a lure up it seems to snap like cotton at the leader knot is it down to the fact that theres no stretch like on mono so it' more direct? it doesn't seem to me that im not pulling that hard before it goes
(said goodbye to a brand new flash minnow last night in this way:evil:)
You need to 'double up' the 8 strand braid when you use the albright,it makes all the difference.
I have found that by doubling up you will get a super strong knot with (for me) the YGK braid.(brilliant stuff).

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Slim beauty knot for me - had plenty of issues wih 8 braid and albright ... Do a search as I think there are plenty of threads on this subject?
I've switched to the slim beauty also this year as I seemed to be having awful trouble with my albright knot failing, now maybe it was just the way I was tying them or something but so far I've found the slim beauty for me at least to be much more reliable especially with 8 strand.

http://www.netknots.com/html/slim_beauty_knot.html

·
Registered
894 Posts

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Slim Beauty is reliable and neat. I use it.

In a hurry or, in the water (braid is a PITA to tie when wet and submerged) I use UNI:UNI

Albright ? Whose bright idea was that ? In the olden days of 4 strands and firewire it was a great reliable knot. No longer with modern 8's.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks cahps i think i'll scrap the albright and take your advice at other knots
cheers it seems tidy but it's when i've snagged a lure i know i don't stand a chance

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I've not had problems with the modified albright, have bent hooks straight with 10lb G Soul and 12lb leader.

If you do not tie it neatly it is weak. The Uni to Uni is huge knot to flick through small rod eyes?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Double uni knot or sometimes known as the Double grinner knot, This is now my preffered way to connect braid to flouro leader, Excellent knot with the 8 braids too.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
just had alook at that link an on there it saye if using braid to mono do 5 turns on the mono part and 8 on the braid part do any of you do that or just 3 turns each side

·
Registered
268 Posts
Have used uni/uni, albright and improved albright and one thats close to the slim beauty (uses an over hand hitch rather than a double over hand hitch) for connecting braid to nylon (or whatever) and they are all reliable knots.
When possible Colin, tie the knots at home where you can take a little time about it. Try to make sure that as the knot comes together, all the coils within it sit nice and neat. If they dont, then you can pretty much be assured that the pressure being applied to the knot, will not be done so "evenly" and any weakspot will soon be found. Also, no matter where you tie your leader knot (or any others) test them there and then. With a realistic amount of strain too. Put the same strain on it that you would expect to have to put in the hauling against a snag, obviously within the line breaking strain limits. If it breaks easily or even with very little difficulty, then thats a good thing - believe it or not. It shows you that it wasnt going to hold up in the water and all its cost you is a bit of time and a few inches of line!

""just had alook at that link an on there it saye if using braid to mono do 5 turns on the mono part and 8 on the braid part do any of you do that or just 3 turns each side ""

Always double the braid and never use less than 8 turns either, Colin. May sound like a lot, but when you compare how slippery braid is to mono..... Its not that much really speaking :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts