The Lure Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well fished aldin grange today which is in durham and a lovley set of lakes

arrived at 6:30 and conditions wernt looking ideal, water was gin clear and there wasnt any surface disturbance to hide the leader!:sad:

it was really hard goin wit fish shying away from the fly at very last moment, had a few takes but fish shook the hook which really gets to you when is hard goin like this:-x

eventually landed my first fish on a klinkhammer and was a nice browny

then shoertley after another fish landed

a nice rainbow whch wouldnt stay still for its pic, thus the strange shaped head due toflappin about

shortley after a deystroyed my lucky klinky and put on a olive shuttlecock fly and the fish were showing intrest and eventually hooked into this

a think its a blue trout as there are a few in the lake but can anyone confirm this??
it put up a great scrap

shortley afterwards all went dead so moved to another location, tried several flys and no intrest:x

a found a nice cdc tucked away that a thought "this one will do the trick"
so a stuck it on and first cast a fish nailed it as soon as it touched the water errupting 2ft out of the water putting up a great scrap and it was another rainbow, a few more takes butsadly no more landed!

after talking to a couple of lads they had only had 1 each so did pretty well on a tough day really:-D

cheers

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers mate, a would deffinatley reccommend it like to anyone who likes fishing or lure fishing, its great fun

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Looks like a standard triploid rainbow to me, Chalk Springs a local haunt for me. Has stock blues in the past, hard to mistake them. As they are very noticably blue along the back particularly on the back/top of the head. Hard to tell from the Bewl pics as the colour fades quickly after it dies.

Might not be a blue, but is a cracking fin perfect Rainbow-not as common as they should be.

Reactions: Adam Sidney

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its hard to tell with some stockies to be honest, as whilst some rainbows come out with a solid bar of pink, some are very very pale. Judging by the strong marking on your first rainbow though, and assuming maybe most rainbows in that water are similar strain, that probably is a blue. Here is a pic of one http://www.bewlwater.co.uk/kent/image/Blue-Trout-JG.jpg
yeah mate thats what a thought, as all other rainbows in there are all obviously rainbows if you kn ow what a mean, very strongly coloured

was also reading that blues can somtimes revert back to rainbow colours, which in this case it looks as if its lost a bit of its blue.

also if you look around the eye it got a blue patch, which av been told is a way of i.d ing them

cheers for input tho lads

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
They look fantastic! Never heard of Blue Trout. I really must have a go at the fluff sometime. Cheers Adam.
I stand to be corrected but I am fairly sure that a Blue trout is a rainbow trout that has been selected for its 'blueness' and is then crossed with an Atlantic salmon.
In 2000 I was one of many controllers at the World Fly Fishing championships on the river Itchen. The stretch I was on was on the Kimbridge Estate and had some blue trout stocked. I recall the Finnish competitor connecting with one of the blue trout. It didn't half go and took him ages to land which he did. From memory it was about 5lbs. The fish itself to touch was not unlike a salmon as you could hold it up by the wrist of the tail.

One of the perks of being a controller was that we were allowed to fish the stretch we looked after for about 4 hours on the day the competitors weren't fishing. I hooked one of the blue trout but could do nothing with it. Incredible fish.

David

1 - 8 of 8 Posts