The Lure Forums banner

Algae bloom

802 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Izador 
#1 ·
just as the water temp gets nice and the fish start to turn up in good numbers we get the damn algae bloom along the north wales coast ,having come from bait fishing for bass where it tends to ruin the fishing,i just wondered from a plugging point of view whether most of you sit it out and wait however many days it takes to clear up? If the first 20 yrds is red with stinking algae but beyond that its pretty clear do you still fish? and more importantly do you still catch in such conditions?

#4 ·
Our local beaches suffered for nearly 2 weeks Prior to that i had just started to catch again The algae cleared about a week ago but still no fish showing here yet I fish every day algae or no algae but i know i will not catch and never have

#5 ·
think i will still have a go tonight but somewhere with a big rip and deeper water over low into darkness and hope the rip will mean the water is clear of algae but there really is alot close in especially the areas with little movement in the water ,just hope that it doesnt send the bass way,way out ,i think the shallow reefs are a no no until it clears

#6 ·
Yeah we get the dreaded May Rot every spring, Clouds up the water, turning it greeny brown. The stuff stinks as it starts to break down.
Definately puts a dent in the fishing, but if you put the time in. You can still catch.
Hunt arround for bays or areas of the beach that are even slight less effected, worth the effort as the bass seem to hold in these areas, while the rot is around.
Also the idea of heading to a deeper mark is good advice as well.

#7 ·
From my point of view it really does dampen your chances, but, you can, and will catch through it. It was that bad last year we had no choice to get our bass fix, and we still caught.
Saying that though it was that bad today I turned round and came home.. would probably winkled out a fish but it makes things that much harder....
Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.