The Lure Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The scene that greeted me on the beach on Friday evening was like a scene from a David Attenborough spectacular. I had been watching the periphery of the activity all day from my garden, but a six mile drive up the coast put me in the front row seats for the show. Four to five hundred or more gannets were bombing the water about three hundred yards out over a length of about a mile of coast. The big launce were here in massive shoals, this is why we catch tope off the beaches in the north of the Isle of Man.
We don't have a gannetry here, these gannets come from the Scottish & Irish coasts to feed around our shores & they are here every day all day not usually in such a large flock, but usually in groups of about a dozen working small shoals of launce all around the northern beaches. They had all come together for this spectacular show.
Saturday was just the same, the gannets were there again, the Arctic terns wheeling & diving within feet of the shore, so it was toss up between the footie or to venture forth for a cast.
Half time, one all & I just knew I should be on the beach. So with Billy the dog in tow I headed off. On the track above the beach I spoke to some guys who were camping up there & had been bait fishing all day. They had caught nothing but had marvelled at the gannet activity just out of casting range. Undeterred by the lack of fish report & Billy growling madly in the back of the car, (Billy doesn't like people near anything that he is supposed to be protecting, & having tasted blood a few days earlier after biting the Sky TV man at our house, I had to keep a close eye on him), I drove off to my preferred spot
I went a safe distance from the campers to a favourite spot. The last of the gannets & terns were heading for home as Billy & I trudged down the gravel, the water was dirty & full of floating weed after days of strong north easterlies. My only option was a surface popper which I worked for an hour & a half for just one swirl behind it on my second cast. I was treated to sea trout jumping regularly, to a group of six porpoise working the launce shoals to within two hundred yards of the beach & a big seal swimming north around the coast on it's evening fishing trip.
What a cracking evening to be on the beach. No fish but what wildlife activity, I couldn't imagine living miles inland again.
Sorry guys no fish to report, but the best fisher's were definitely out this evening.
I do genuinely think that when there is massive amounts of natural bait in the water that bass become very selective & ignore anything that looks the slightest bit dodgy, well that's my excuse anyway.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Just goes to show, you don't always need fish to make a great fishing trip. It sounded like a magical experience Nigel. I too could never live far from the sea and get withdrawel symptoms if I'm not near the sea at least twice a week.

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gary

The gannet display was breath taking, it looked so chaotic but was at the same time so organised & precise. Magical does sum it up nicely & the lack of catching a fish didn't matter.
When people ridicule me for not catching a fish I do not worry. They don't know what they are missing. It's just being there that matters. People pay lots of money to see the sights that I see from our shores for free.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Nigel, so often I am pleased that fishing gives me the excuse to be in some spectacular places seeing all sorts of amazing wildlife. To watch seals, dolphins, choughs, peregrines etc in an amazing scenery is priceless. A bass or any other fish is a bonus.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Brilliant read Nigel, very enjoyable :-D

·
Registered
128 Posts
Nice report Nigel saw something similar up at the point the other day some sight alright, have to try and get a few pics of the gannets as they come in some close gliding inches above the water remarkable bird!!
Must meet up with you for a bass session before I leave manx waters....

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
James

Yes no problem on the bass trip. The trouble here on the IoM is floating weed in the water. That can be the death of any lure, fly or bait bassing trip.

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting snippet that I have copied & pasted from the Irish Bass Face book page:

Irish Bass: New bass season is only 1 hour away but I think I will wait until the morning. The weather is great and Balliniskelligs Bay is full of sand eels - yesterday there was about two hundred gannets diving all along the beaches and they injured so many sand eels that the beach was covered with them. Plenty food for the bass.

If that is what happens regularly when gannets feed, no wonder catching bass here can be difficult when there is plenty of natural food in the water.

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Beautiful birds as you say James & at the Point of Ayre they come past you only feet away & inches above the water.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
When people ridicule me for not catching a fish I do not worry. They don't know what they are missing. It's just being there that matters. People pay lots of money to see the sights that I see from our shores for free.
Never a truer word spoken. Lovely, lovely post.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts