1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Good thinking Nigel - i'll be interested to see if anyone has come across something suitable.

·
Registered
540 Posts
other than vhf radio, mobile phone, flares that as you say can fail on you, the other options I can think of are:

Whistle (not ideal but always worth carrying)
mirror (again not ideal)
head torch (to signal an SOS or to shine against the mirror)
a flash light with a beam (again for SOS signalling and a beam would be better suited than a flood light setting)
make a flag, attach a rag, tee or similar to your rod (again limited as a signal)

just a couple of potentially life saving suggestions and items that are easy enough to carry!

the signal for SOS is ...---... (three short flashes, three long flashes, three short falhes. Pause and repeat!)

·
Registered
769 Posts
Is there any viable alternative to flares out there??
Not a marine radio or mobile phone, they are electronic & can fail. Some real alternative to a pyrotechnic that can blow your hand off or worse. I know there are laser flares but imagine that they are only any use at night & only if you are shining it directly at someone.
Any thoughts??
If my boat sinks, my waterproof VHF fails, and my mobile in its waterproof case wont work, my thoughts Nigel would be I must have done something pretty bad to deserve this Kama, followed by a suspicion the Mrs is trying to get a return on my life policies.

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Matt

I like to cover all the bases where self preservation is concerned. I've had a marine radio fail & mobile phone get wet (my own fault) & not had any flares with me. A high decibel survival whistle from Millets saved the day & probably me.
I would like to carry flares whilst in the kayak & dinghy, but I hear too many horror stories about using them.

·
Registered
381 Posts
You could get a personal EPIRB

Come down in price loads and probably the best way to get help anywhere in the world.

·
1,866 Posts

I totally agree with Julians post above. They work world wide. How much is your life worth? Heres one I have seen:

Click here to enlarge

ACR AQUAFIX 406 GPS Personal EPIRB
Specification
  • 406 & 121.5 MHz
  • Available with either GPS interface or with an internal GPS
  • Small and lightweight (easily stored in a pocket)
  • Floats if dropped in water
  • Waterproof to 11m
  • GPS and battery test feature
  • Flat stainless steel antenna, which stows neatly around unit
  • 120z (338g) 1.74 x 5.71 x 3.03 in (440 x 145 x 770mm)
  • 5 year limited guarantee
  • 5 year battery life

1 - 7 of 7 Posts