Alternative to Daiwa J8 braid | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Alternative to Daiwa J8 braid

Discussion in 'Lines' started by {name}, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Sandeel

Hi guys,
    I have been using Daiwa J8 braid but I do not like it much. The old braid I was using was much less trouble any ideas on what to go for and why would be very handy.
    Many thanks
    Steve

2. Striper

Ygk upgrade, suffix?

3. Sprat

I have 0.12 sufix performance pro it casts well, quite round profile. Good price. I prefer it to my sufix 832 which I had before

4. Perch

I'm trying the Spider wire x8 stealth and Shimano Kairki early stages so far but happy with both, I didn't like J braid either. probably me but I had more than my fair share of wind knots with the J braid

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  5. Mullet (foul hooked)

If you're after an 8 braid, then Shimano Kairiki is probably the best.

6. Pike

7. Striper

been using the spiderwire x8, its so cheap.
    v strong after a few minths needs reversing then few months in the bin.
    but 14 quid a spool dont mind one bit .

8. Sandeel

Hi Guys,

Thank you very much to you all for your thoughts and pointers. I will choose one and try it and make a note of the names to look out for. That Daiwa kept fraying on my rough skin!

Happy fishing

Steve

• Like Like x 1
  9. Perch

I have read some very mixed reviews about the J braid. I have been using it on a light set up for a couple of months now and cannot say a bad word about it. No issues whatsoever. I would buy again on the strength of my experience. Casts probably amongst the best I have used. No wind knots and great value.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Pike

What were you using?

11. Sandeel

Hi Jim,
    I wish I knew! It lasted so long that I cannot remember what it was called it was cheap I bet, it was grey and thin even for braid of 20lb.
    Cheers
    Steve

12. Pike

I would guess that there have been many brands that had a grey color but I can remember my first spool of braid that I purchased many years ago. It was grey...Smoke Gray was the color name from memory. The line name/brand was Fireline. On saying that, I am not sure if it is what you call a true braid...gel spun line or something. Google it and see if the spool looks familiar.