The Lure Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier today I got a message from another member of this site, to let me know there were some fish around at a mark we both fish. Now that was a really nice thing for any member to do.
So earlier tonight I joined him at the mark for a bit of a fish. Straight away it was obivous that the up to now very hard to find mackerel were in attendance-boils and baitfish jumping from a few feet away all the way out across the bay.
Now I love mackerel (just wish they grew to ten times the size they do), so I was only too happy to catch a few, even broke the "secret weapon" out of it's box. First cast straight into a mackerel!!!
We both had a few mackerel, and I managed a small bass. When my very generous fellow member surgested a move, to fish an area that I won't normally bother to fish. Guess what he was right, soon into a just legal sized bass, and by then darkness forced a stop to the session. No monster fish caught, but it was a great after work session, I guess the unexspected sessions are the best ones.
I want to say a huge thank you to the generous member, who I will leave nameless (unless he chooses to reveil himself) as it may give away his mark/area. But thanks for the heads up, and the great company.
Looking forward to fishing with you again shortly.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
No problem Dave, and it was really committed of you to drive all the way to Wales !!! Looking forward to doing it again at dawn - hope you can make it !!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheeky Simon,
Mind you, if you find any bonito kicking around-you will see how fast I can get to Wales.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Simon,
Tarpon, just a big herring - fun but just don't have the screaming drag insanity of tuna.

Oh and you do know that you really have a run of tarpon in Wales, don't you!!! Honest
Information can be supplied!!!!

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
It's a pretty good mark isn't it Dave. That move, short though it was, opened up a lot more of the reef.

It would have been nice to take a bass but mackerel are good fun in the rocky shallows. I'll let you know when the bonito turn up.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Simon,
Tarpon, just a big herring - fun but just don't have the screaming drag insanity of tuna.

Oh and you do know that you really have a run of tarpon in Wales, don't you!!! Honest
Information can be supplied!!!!
All is not what it seems with this post Dave?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Paul,
Shad are members of the herring family as are Tarpon, and shad (both kinds that we get in the UK) run up several of the rivers in Wales to spawn in May/June time.
I used to go over to the a couple of rivers to fish for them-good fighting and jumping fish, But very sadly I have read recently that you not allowed to fish for them anymore.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
They are beautiful looking fish Dave. I hear a bit of that still goes on in southern France.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Paul,
I was looking at a site about fishing in Brittany, their runs are getting better every year. Really tempted to head out there to fish for them. They are getting them up to 8lbs-and that would be a real giggle.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The best bit Paul, is shad are dumb as the day is long, anything shiny or with a touch of bright red or blue seems to be impossible for them to pass up. You do drop loads of them though, hard mouthed just like their bigger more glamorous relatives.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oddly enough we get a few caught locally by guys feathering for mackerel.
I many ways I am surprised more guys plugging don't pick them up, while plugging for mackerel or bass.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
If I remember correctly did Pat Gallagher used to get quite a few in Ireland? I am sure I remember him catching them around Dublin way and getting loads in a session. Now thta would be fun. Spoilt for choice with shad, seatrout and maybe the odd bass.....

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
It's not unusual to get shads off the East Arm at Newhaven. I took one on a small green mackerel toby a couple of weekends ago.

·
Registered
129 Posts
We got lots o twaite shad in Portugal, especially in river Sado.

They love small casting jigs.

I don't like to catch them tough, they drop loads of scales and almost most of the time they just do circles around the lure aahah

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have loads of shad, eastern side of the isle of wight, and i mean loads sometimes when feathering in the boat all you get is shad and no mackerel.

Sandown bay at the back of the island is good, also can't see why anywhere from hayling-bracklesham-selsey wont through them up off the beach.
The last 3-4 years the numbers have been increasing.
Cracking live bait for bass on the boat

1 - 19 of 19 Posts