The Lure Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would post a few notes on the evening I had last week - **** and Stanley (Ultimate Fishing) were over demo'ing some tackle - mostly tropical stuff of which I was highly interested cue me hooning it across London to meet them at London City Airport last Thursday night ...good chance to check out some new kit and have a chat and some beers!

Primary driver was to check out the range of tropical popping and jigging rods Tenryu do for the european market (yes more red rods!) plus a few others for bass fishing as they had alot of rods with them and I get the drop before Nantes ...

Rods of interest to me in particular were the following;
Furrary Machine - rated to 80lb and casts upto 170gms
Furrary 86 - rated upto 100lb and casts 200gms
New Tuna casting rod prototype rated to 60lbs and casts upto 120gms
New light jigging rod rated to 250gms? (**** will have to fill me in as I was very keen on this one!)
Injection - current rod and I was very impressed however ...

New rods coming that will be of interest - 2 x new injections and a kayak rod coming out in 2010 that will fit the niche that I need ...

Stanley was a fantastic guy and had an immense amount of knowledge - I was very priveledged to get some time with both **** and Stanley and talk bass, brittany and tackle!

Some things that blew my mind;
Photos of the Duo factory from Stanley's visit - all tide minnows are hand made, individually tested and finished? awesome!

Asymetric jigs and how to work them boat / shore

Casting jigs and general applications

Opening Stanley's lure box and seeing the next gen coming next year ... baby patchinko's at 8gms, Duo MOAB fibre bibs, casting jigs with recesses for hooks, new pressbaits, new plastics ... ****'s bag of tricks inc alot of small sub 10gm hard baits ... frikkin awesome lures tbh :shock:

Fishing plastics with tiny heads upto 10gms on ultrlight gear and mono rather than braid - especially in hard conditions and competitions!

Rounded off by both **** and Stanley giving me a plug each for my birthday - Tackle House Saltia popper from Stanley and a large 200mm tide minnow in sardine from **** - happy birthday me!
I had a fantastic evening and really grateful the guys took the time out to give me the private demo's and dinner!
Roll on 2010 - its going to be a corker of a year ... :D

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Jordanis3r said:
Some things that blew my mind;
Photos of the Duo factory from Stanley's visit - all tide minnows are hand made, individually tested and finished? awesome!

Excellent night out there buddy, but I wonder what myfish would make of the above comment? :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point - I will elaborate ...

Each lure is run through a water bath (freshwater) to check for leaks etc rather than action testing! They are all done individually - I was really impressed and to me it sort of justifies paying £20 plus - they are not mass produced, no assembly line just each lure done one by one ...

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Jordanis3r said:
Good point - I will elaborate ...

Each lure is run through a water bath (freshwater) to check for leaks etc rather than action testing! They are all done individually - I was really impressed and to me it sort of justifies paying £20 plus - they are not mass produced, no assembly line just each lure done one by one ...
That is quite impressive actually. I was looking at some Lucky Craft lures yesterday (just happened to be sitting around in my living room. ... I'm not going crazy being stuck indoors or anything...!!!! :x :D ) and noticed that you could quite obviously see the plastic tabs on the underside where each side had been cut away from another during the moulding process. It obviously won't affect the lure much, but I've never seen it so obvious that the baits were cut away from a mass produced bundle.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Yeah, gotcha. Think the LC's just need a bit more sanding. I'll probably find their fakes as soon as take em out for a cast. :geek:

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Sounds like a great night out.
It is a real shame all the 'toys' are locked away on craggy island and not just down the road. Hopefully **** will be able to preview some of the new gear. Maybe it will be on show in Nantes.....

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
saltiga said:
Sounds like a great night out.
It is a real shame all the 'toys' are locked away on craggy island and not just down the road. Hopefully **** will be able to preview some of the new gear. Maybe it will be on show in Nantes.....
Nantes is a lurefest. The great thing is you will meet tackle rats of 16 years of age demonstrating lures like old pro's and the likes of Ange Porteux, french lure guru, aged well over 80/90? showing them how.

Something to aspire to for a UK show maybe?

*edit* And Stan doing his Barry White impression . Sounds like he started smoking Camel at the age of three. :lol:

·
Registered
716 Posts
Had a really interesting chat with Yannick of Ultimate Fishing in Ireland a few weeks back, he was talking about being "allowed" into the Duo factory when he had been in Japan recently - he could not believe the amount of detailed work that went into making the lures, and that's coming from somebody who sells this kind of gear for a living.

The Ultimate boys are at the forefront of all this lure fishing, and **** has done a huge amount for their introduction into the UK and our grubby mitts. All credit to the guys.

And there are some seriously remote and wild places on this earth where I would very much like to go and give some of the more exotic red rods a damned good thrashing on some proper fish.............

1 - 9 of 9 Posts