The Lure Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just wanted a bit of advice on getting a new rod. I had an unfortunate accident with my last 2 plugging rods, one involving a car door and the other with my patio door (which was the dogs fault for knocking it over and the wind did the rest!), both we're Shimano's and I loved them. I've unfortunately been out on a budget and can't really spend a fortune on a rod (got a little one on the way).

What I wanted to know is if anyone had any suggestion on a good rod for mainly plugging, but also I wouldn't mind giving SP's a go this year as well. I'd be using it on the Kayak as well as onshore, just wondered if anyone had any suggestions?

All the ones I've run past the missus have had a blunt "No we can't afford it!"

Any help would be appreciated (on the rod, not the missus).

Cheers,

Jay

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Hello JP, glad to see you made it on here!

How much you wanting to spend? What sort of length also? 7, 7 1/2, 8ft? The 7ft Bushwhacker 10-30g Bushwhacker is a rod that is being used by a few people for plugging, and has also been recommended as a good rod for HRF, using the softbaits, due to its sensitive tip. I have one on the way so if you want to try it, let me know.

Depends on budget really mate

PS. I say 7ft, purely because I dont think that is too short for the shore, and not too long for the kayak

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Simple: Savage Gear Bushwacker. 7' 10-30g will do most plugging and SPs (read Keith's comments elsewhere). £50-60. Probably best to get one from MrFish then you will have no carriage costs unless you can find one much cheaper via the internet/ebay. My lad has this rod and it's great for the money. At this budget they are almost unbeatable as an all-rounder. The 8'6" is also good but rated at 15-45g I think and perhaps less suitable for SPs but still okay.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
My wife has a 7ft bushwacker, it's a lot of rod for the money. On its first use from the shore she managed a 3lb9oz bass on a patchinko ( scared the life out of her, in about the last 10ft of the retreive). I know at first **** (Mr Fish) was a bit concerned over how long the eyes would last, but I have to say after 9 months of abuse they still look as good as new (better in fact than the eyes on my quantum). It's also a great length for the kayak.

Hope this helps

Gary

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers guys, and I thought it was gonna be a tough one! Seems a nice simple answer to my question. A £50-£60 budget would suit me fine, luckily got a couple of very decent reels to go with, as it pretty hard to slam that in a door!

Alright Sleepy hows things? Would mind having a go with your rod before I go out and buy one, just in case. I'll PM you my number and if you could let us know when's good mate.

Cheers again guys, made my life a lot easier :-D

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have several (customized) Bushwhackers (213/10-30, 213/15-40 and 243/15-40) and planning to buy the new BW XLNT (228/3-18) for HRF (winter) and for 'pêche finesse' for seabass (summer) with SP's and small plugs as well.

You can't go wrong for that kind of money I guess, presuming you like rods with a fast recovery. If you are on a budget and wanted to buy only 1, and also would like to use it on your kayak as well, I would opt for the 7'' 10-30, alltough I would say its casting weight is rather 1/4-1 ounce (7-28 instead of 10-30).)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts