The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Ben Edwards! We'll get to that in a bit though. Always a dangerous thing to plan marks etc a day ahead reliant on the forecasts, but George & I met Ben at our first mark this morning and conditions were okay despite the light offshore winds we expected being a stiff NE breeze. We were fishing the 2nd half of the ebb which was against the received wisdom for this mark but it looked good. We fished hard across the whole mark and I missed a take on the brand new Green Sandeel Feed Shallow+ I procured from BassMasters as I was day-dreaming and watching the sea-gulls surfing the wind. DOH! 5 minutes later and Ben's Bushwacker had a very healthy bend and a bass was doing it's best to get it's head down and return to the kelp. Duly subdued it was landed, photgraphed and returned and Ben seemed pleasantly surprised to have a fish from this mark at this state of tide.

We struggled to move any more fish so decided to hit mark #2 for low water, driving WRC Rally Style up the coast and finding gorgeous looking water and great clarity on arrival. Nothing much happened until an hour into the flood and the decision to wade was all important.
On one of the very few areas of sand, Ben had waded out to his limit and cast a weedless Slug-Go (Ale Wife 6" I believe) across some weedy reef. Not realising how big the fish was that had hit him he was initially relaxed. Then the drag started singing and George realised a hand might be needed. A terrific ding-dong and very splashy fight ensued and the two of them safely landed and measured the fish at 62cm whereupon I arrived from across the bay (puffing a bit!) to take the pics. This was a very photogenic, dark-backed bass that raised Ben's PB by around 3lb today. To say he was chuffed was an understatement to see her swim off strongly.

I did manage a fish on the Green Maria Chase (my lure of the season so far!) that tried to be a big fish by fighting above his weight by having one treble under his chin. First thought was: Big Heavy fish! Second thought was: Nope feels wrong, foul hooked fish. Third thought was: at least it's a bass but not as big as I wanted, hence the upside down smile!

It was slow in general and George didn't fancy his chances so we made one more move to another mark closer to home. Ben and George both moved fish but nothing was to come of it despite very promising conditions. After 8 hours fishing we called it quits with Ben very happy (and hungry).

The ups and downs? Obviously the Ups being the PB for Ben. The downs? My phone taking enough salt water to die and my wading boots losing a sole on only their second outing! All in all a cracking day on the South Pembs coast and my face is still aglow from all the sunshine. Roll on the next trip....

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Cracking report & multimedia guys :clap:

Ben - good to see that you have my patented "stumble as you return the fish" move perfected ;)

A very well done on a new pb :D

·
Registered
500 Posts
cheers for the pics and vid tim :D and thanks to george for landing the fish for me... great looking fish that was, glad to see it swim back strongly too. looking forward to the next trip :p

no t.d not much weed about today. the weed in that vid was just a patch collected in the surf, water was like gin at the sheltered marks

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Sorry It took me a few go's to get all the photos and vids uploaded. Will get the hang of the underwater vids soon! One thing: that was not my PB bass despite Ben's commentary!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Well done chaps, good session. and report. Called in manor this morning and it looked good, But wind up and bit choppy for kayak this afternoon.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Great report and photos, lovely looking fish and a new pb - well done everyone. Days dont get much better than this.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
lovely trip fellas....welldone on the pb ben and for george landing someones pb...lots of pressure but again top man george.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
looks like a super day down there,well done with the pb, wish we had some clear water to fish in, these constant north west to north east winds have messed the vis up yet again.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Well done Tim for putting Ben on to his PB, stunning fish great videos on the c&r, as Simon said Ben like the little stumble !! but you aint taking penelties ... unlucky on the phone & boots Tim
You do put the boots through some rough treatment , Anyways keep up the good work

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Excellent report and photos ..... looks like it was a lovely day to get a PB .... Congratulations!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts