The Lure Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Had a little session at one of the piers oop north last night, approx 9-45 to 1-30. I started with a DOA Cal shad, and persevered for about 45 mins without a touch. I then swapped to a gulp sandeel, cast as far as I could and retrieved fast and picked up several hard takes (probably pollock) but still no fish. I then started deadsticking the lure. Before long, a couple of little taps and there was some weight on the end. I brought it to the surface and up on the pier and Yessssss, my first shore cuttlefish. I carried on the same procedure and caught another 3, each time getting a bit bigger, but these let go as soon as I started bringing them up the wall (note to self, take landing net next time). On went an egi, but there were no takers at all? I then changed to a tinyxlayer and tried various retrieves, but the only style anything was interested in was a fast retrieve and I managed an average sized pollock and a small scad.

Interesting to note, although I've not yet seen one in the flesh, I'm certain a triggerfish was messing around at the end, under the light all the time I was there.

Gary

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Hi Gary

interesting result , seems to be a few about at the moment saw a few at Greve de leq whilst in the Kayak touched them with the rod tip seemed very docile could have scooped them with the landing net but did not fancy the black look .

Tony

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Nice one Gary, might not of been a trigger but something that looks very similar in the water. In the early eighties i had a couple of John Dorey's under the lights oop north, have seen the odd ones caught since.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Hi Gary

not sure if it would work there but have had a few triggers on the small yo zuri lures with a dark back , might be worth a go .

Tony

1 - 12 of 12 Posts