The Lure Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went out for a bit of urban fluff chucking earlier this evening and armed with my #4 fly rod, i set up on the beautiful river Ely, :eek:

where i was greeted with the usual riverside adornments that the local brain dead chav kids seem to relish pushing all the way through a wood and a large field just to push in the river,

But undeterred i headed further downstream to where a good riffle runs through the center of the river with pools either side,

after chucking out small dries for an hour or so, all i managed to catch were immature brownies so i decided to change to Czech nymphs, i spent half an hour trotting these down the riffle to no avail :(

I then decided to try using a gold head Montana, fished across stream towards the far bank and let the line get caught in the riffle and carried downstream thus pulling the fly out of the pool and into the flow, when on my 2nd cast, "WALLOP, FISH ON" :D

and after a bit of a tussle i landed something that i couldn't positively identify (til showing it to some of the lads on here, cheers fellas ;) ) and it turned out to be a Chub,, which i didn't realise (til tonight) could even be caught on a fly..

Not a huge fish by any standard, but still a bonus to my new found love of fluff chucking..:D

Just need to get a big brownie now, and i'll be stoked!!! Tight 'uns,,, Marc..

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Nice one Marc.

My mate had over twelve species of sea fish on the fly last year & I have come to the conclusion that virtually all species of fish will take some sort of fly.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Marc, that's a really cool capture! Great fishing and I will be interested to see what else you can catch! Beats chucking 6oz grippers eh??

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Nice one Marc. I have caught lots of chub on the fly and they can be great fun when the trout dont want to play. I catch quite a lot on the dry fly as well with hawthorns and daddies being popluar - they seem to like something big and bushy. If you can stalk them they ussually rise quite freely if you put it quite close, almost and instintcive take before they can think about it.

Good luck with them.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Cracking suff mate - you is the man (love the "structure" in the top pic lol)

see you in a couple of weeks bud ;)

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Well done on the Chubb Marc, great angling and can't wait to see what your next surprise will be :-D

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I catch quite a lot on the dry fly as well with hawthorns and daddies being popluar - they seem to like something big and bushy. If you can stalk them they ussually rise quite freely if you put it quite close, almost and instintcive take before they can think about it.
Thats exactly what I have found in the past. Whether its a big daddy longlegs dry fly, a small spinner or a fat slug, if you land it next to a basking/cruising Chub, it'll either spook and bolt, or spin round and nail it.

Well done on the Chub though Marc, and doubly well done for the Brownies from your previous trip.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
awesome - urban streetfishing :D

I know an are in Kingston with dozens of 5lb plus chub - you just can't hit em' as they are around a bridge with no access!
Alex is that one just done from Twickers? I have looked over that bridge many a time and almost wished i had brought my rod and not a ticket!!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Cheers Guys,,, i went out again on Saturday evening, but i hit the dreaded blank.. :eek:

But, when i went out last night, i came across the foundations of the old Ely corn mill and water pumping station, which splits the river into 2 halves.

lovely little spot, and not too much rubbish in the water, so i started off fishing a small white goldhead catswhisker and after about 10 minutes i caught this..

soon followed by this...

then i switched to dry flies and caught 3 immature brownies, (about 4" long) and seeing they were so young, i decided they needed to be returned ASAP, so no pics of these, then it went quiet for about an hour when on my final couple of casts i put on a cranefly (cheers Andrew ;) ) and caught this one to round off my session...

i then cycled home with a nice warm feeling inside,, :D :D :D

·
Registered
779 Posts
lol - Marc - you is the man (you gotta take me urbaning when Im over)

·
Registered
865 Posts
plenty of fish there mate, niceone, been fly fishing for trout for a while now but yet to hook anything else than trout, would like to hook into a chub welldone

1 - 19 of 19 Posts