The Lure Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wind having calmed overnight and a flooding tide over the dawn period. I thought I’d sneak in a short early morning bass trip.
Left home at 0420 hrs and after half an hour drive reached my destination on the north Pembrokeshire coast. A short moonlit walk along the beach to my chosen spot, I then waded through the first gully onto a small sand bar about 30 yards out. Conditions looked perfect.
I started with a feed shallow, which didn’t get a touch. Having thought I could hear some splashing a little way out in the darkness, I decided to change to a Patchinko which I blasted out as far as I could in the direction of what I thought I had heard. Still nothing. The water level in the gully was rising so I left the sand bar and headed back towards the shore. The darkness slowly lifted and I decided to switch lures again. I had just clipped on my favourite sammy when I noticed a series of swirls in the gully about 20 yards to my right. I feverishly cast over the top and started to work the lure towards the activity. In the gloom as my lure approached the action, there suddenly appeared this bow wave reminiscent of a ww2 torpedo. For a split second I envisaged a monster bass grabbing my Sammy. Not to be, as the rather happy looking face of a seal that had just eaten my targeted, not so large bass, appeared above the surface. With a quick glance at me and before I could utter even a mild expletive the glutton was off in search of more.
I cast the other way up the gully and worked the Sammy back, just on the inside of the sand bar that I had been standing on a short while earlier. After about 10 twitches the lure was hit hard with an immediate hook up of a solid feeling fish. At last! The fish put up some spirited resistance, it tired a little and I managed to get it gliding towards me in defeat when suddenly the enormous bow wave appeared again heading straight at my tired captive with me a short distance the other side. Reeling in like my life depended on it, I got what must have been a very bewildered bass up on the plane. This I think confused the opposition, either that or it got close enough to catch a whiff of my waders forcing it to surface about 10 yards from me. It wallowed glaring at me as I unhooked a beautiful bass of about 50 cm in length.
The seal resumed its hunt and I made sure my bass was fully revived before releasing it back to the war zone.
There followed 40 or so golden minutes during which I was moving fish on virtually every cast. The seal was still occasionally visible about 100yds out. I finished my little session with eight fish to hand all released and I was back home by 0830 hrs.
Maybe we should look for seals to direct us to good fishing.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Charles,
Glad you managed to sneak one in past sammy the seal.
Seals alway scare the snot out of me, when they suddenly pop a few yards from you while your deep wading!! But they do show that your in the right area.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Hahahaha, not had Seals nicking my catch before! Can't blame him for the easy breakfast though.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Absolutely fabulous session Charles, with a tremendous descriptive report to boot :clap: :clap:. A very enjoyable read, and some top-angling by the sounds of it. Well done :D.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Cracking report Charles! I have heard some people on here say how they will actively look for seals when locating Bass, so it looks like you have added more weight to that approach

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Excellent report Charles. I've had seals take Callig after they've been hooked but not in the way you describe. Fantastic Fishin Fella!

·
Registered
447 Posts
When fishing near Falmouth earlier on in the month had a seal come to visit on 3 consecutive days. Not once did it try to touch hooked fish but it came and seemed to think I was going to feed it! The animal came close enough to touch and looked most disgruntled when we did not give it anything to eat. That said we caught fish throughout the time it was in the area.

·
Registered
773 Posts
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Charles, what a great report on what sounds like a lovely session really enjoyed reading it a couple of times over. Great to meet you on Sunday as well.[/FONT]

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Charles, a really evocative report of what was clearly a special session. Thanks for sharing...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts