The Lure Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was about to purchase the 802 but when i put my Stradic 4000 on it in the shop the balance didnt quite feel right, whereas it seemed to suit the 832 almost perfect.

As i was planning on buying the 802 for its better all round ability im now not sure what to do

In your opinion should i sacrifice how comfortable it feels in the hand or just go with the 832?? (could there be that much difference in 3 inches?)

Obviously it comes down to personnal opinion in the end but i would be interested to hear peoples experiences/opinions..

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
From what I've heard John, I would stick with the 802. The 832 seems a much less sensitive rod, if sensitivity is what your after. The balance on my RLSD isn't perfect with any of my reels I've tried on it, but I'd rather have the rod I wanted and forgive the balance a little.

·
Banned
1,934 Posts
Hi John,

When I first bought my 802 I teamed it up with a new 3000 TwinpowerFC.....however I felt personally that it didnt balance right in MY hand....so I went up to the 4000 size. The 3000 weighes in at 305g and the 4000 at 320g...only 15g of a difference but that difference felt better in my hand and took the top heavy feeling out of the setup...in my opinion.

Looking at your Stradic I think it weighs around 365g so is that little bit heavier but I dont think going up to the longer version rod would be the way to go. As Gary says I have heard too that the longer version isnt as suitable as "the all rounder" that the 802 is but that is just hear say.

Could it be just a matter of getting used to it? However if you are like me it will prey on your mind each and every time you pick the rod up!! :)
Would a new reel be an option? I know Angela in Murphys has the Twinpower at a very inviting price....and you could keep the Stradic for your current set up???

Crevan

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
How does it not feel balanced John? Is it too heavy down at the reel end? Where is the balance point along the rod with the reel on it? If it didnt feel balanced to you, its unfortunate, but you have to be comfortable in what you are using. What rod have you changed from? Some people that have been used to handling 10-11ft 'spinning' rods with softer actions are put off when they pick up the newer lure rods, as they seem so light and delicate.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for the help lads

I have actually come from an 11ft rod and have only held/fished with a smaller rod for literally a couple of casts....so maybe that is a factor more important than i thought!? ie.. will it become more comfortable and balanced to me the more i get used to smaller rods or if the fact doesnt feel right now mean it never will?

The weight feels to be all in the reel end, im not quite sure where the balance point is mark, is there a certain part where it should be or whats reckoned to be ideal??

The more i think about it i reckon i would be willing to sacrifice the handling in any case, because its not totally uncomfortable, its just not as balanced as in the 832 imo! (perhaps balance is the wrong word here, personnal feel of the rod/reel is what i mean you know?)

A new reel is not an option at the moment so i think il take the plunge..anyway...is balance of the rod/reel such an important factor i wonder? obviously for comfort of fishing its more enviable but it doesnt actually effect fishing ability and performance of the rod or person....or does it?? :???:

·
Banned
1,934 Posts
Hi John
I honestly dont think that it will affect your catch rate one bit...its more of a personal feel thing to be honest.
As you say you have just come from using an 11ft rod so this is a BIG change....but one for the better in my opinion. You will soon love the feel of the shorter type rod and begin o wonder how you used the 11ft for so long!!! I came from 9ft down to 8ft and even with that it took a while to get used to the "missing foot" :) but absolutely love the Teklon now.....even if it is bass-less so far. Ive taken a small pollock and one good sized pollock and a good wrasse on it and it feels fantastic when tackling fish. I cant wait for a big double figure spikey fella....roll on the 15th!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I took my new 802 out yesterday fitted with the 4000 Aspire and yes it does feel a bit awkward at first,but when you get down to casting after a while it sort
of gels.I used an Aerocast @ 10' before this 802 and I think its just a matter of adjustment.Having said that I do think a 3000 size reel may well suit this
rod a treat.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ha cheers! Reckon its just a matter of gettin used to it alright! Hopefully be buying it this week so will let ye know how i get on!! Yep Crevan....Cant wait for the 15th!!! Longest month EVER!!!!

·
Banned
1,934 Posts
I dont think you will be disappointed with it John. Its like a wand.....all you will need is a few spells to catch the bass!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts