The Lure Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks

Sorry, I know theres been a lot of talk about these rods but I couldn't find an answer to a particular question I have.
I have decided its tiome to ditch my 35 year old 10ft fibreglass rod and get something new. Was looking at either the 8ft Teklon 802 or the 8'6" Sakura Rookie. Now the thing is, I have read that the Teklon is a bit soft and mainly suited to soft lures. But I like using shallow divers, surface plugs and poppers mainly and only occasionaly use soft lures.

The question is, would the Teklon handle poppers ok? And does it have enough stiffness to work surface lures properly?

Its a hard chopice this but I guess anything will be miles better than the antique I am struggling with at present!

Thanks for any info guys :)

Dean

·
Registered
645 Posts
If you want one for mainly hard plastic and poppers than the Teklon 832 version is a really good option and plenty stiff enough.

I couldnt answer this without mentioning I have an 832 for sale in the classifieds, but seriously my answer would have been the same if I hadnt!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike I hadn't even thought about the 832! Oh dear, another rod to consider. After hearing so much good stuff about the 80-2 I thought this was the rod for me, but then I started researching more and I wonder if it really is the thing for mainly hard lures and poppers. Will have a look at the classified s now but I cant get one until about 6 weeks time anyway, cheers!

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
802 is a great rod, as is the lRF 7ft rod. Finish is great and the feel really nice. I still love my Supermix 240 however if the Teklon were around when I purchased it, I wouldn't now one a Supermix.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
802 is a great rod, as is the lRF 7ft rod. Finish is great and the feel really nice. I still love my Supermix 240 however if the Teklon were around when I purchased it, I wouldn't now one a Supermix.
Jon how do you find it for poppers and surface lures?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I use an 802 all the time, using a mix of surface and sub surface lures.
The action of the rod is in no way soft!
Even with light poppers like the little skitter pop I can feel & control every movement of the lure.
I find that the best balance is with a 2500 Exage & thin braid (15lb for general use)
The rod is also great with soft lures.
Once you try one I am sure you will not regret it.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Don't know where you read that the 802 tip is too soft - it's "softer" than the stiffer 832, and far better for it in my opinion. The 802 has loads of feel, fishes surface lures really well, loads of rod for the dosh.

And those Sakura Rookie rods also seem to be outstanding value for money.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Hi Dean,
I was a dyed-in-the-wool 10' man for years but picked up a TCS802 off Veals at the BASS AGM in March.
I take a lot of convincing to part with my hard-earned, and only the fact that I sold some stuff myself on the day so had the readies, combined with wangling a good deal out of Veals made me bite the bullet.
When comparing -the stiffer 832 version felt a bit stiff for casting some of the sub-12g lures I often like to use when its flat calm, but I felt it would probably be OK for everything else. It also has more than enough grunt to handle 99.9% of the bass we are ever likely to encounter in our waters.
So far, for me, each time I use it, the 802 has proved a nicer and nicer rod to use - I have now gotten used to the shorter length, and lighter weight, and its action is great for all the lures I use; the light stuff, the 18-28g sliders and poppers, and the Thundersticks and usual unjointed minnows. I have found it great with the soft plastics too - I feel it has just the right amount of stiffness work them properly, and is certainly not too soft to mask the feeling of even my lightest SP's.
The only 3 concerns I had were about casting distance, the ability to handle big fish, and all that pink around the handle.
I am slowly getting used to the pink.
I havent caught any biggies on mine yet, but watched my mate wrestle an 8lb'er out of really rough ground in a very lively sea a couple of weeks back and am now satisfied it has what it takes. Similar concerns he had in that field have also been eradicated. I did perform "ceiling" and "gate" tests on mine in comparison to my 10' Bug Special and I found that they take roughly the same amount of load to put a healthy bend in them. When I bought mine Dave Box assembled it and told me to hold the rod normally in a 45 degree from horizontal position, he grabbed the tip ring and pulled it all the way down extremely hard until it touched the floor a foot or so in front of my feet. I held on firmly with both hands and was nearly spewing expecting it to shatter and have everyones eye out. Not the same as controlling a big fish but very inspiring none the less.

As far as casting goes, well to be honest, I am still struggling to get the same distances consistently as I do with a 10'er. Thats the key for me - consistancy. Some casts fly out, and some are wayward and fall short. I have a good feeling it might be the way I cast, so I am trying to address this, altering my casting action, and length of drop to the lure. It is improving, but slowly.
In contrast, my mate is having no issues in that field, so it must be me. He has told me the loading of the rod is crucial, and wathcing him cast, I am inclined to agree with him. I think that timing is maybe a bit more crucial with a shorter rod, and especially with a rod like this which is only 14" from the centre of the reel seat to the end of the handle. I am used to at least another 6".
Incidentally I am using an old 3500 Stradic on mine and it balances perfectly on the little neoprene thing at the front of the handle - I do have another even lighter reel I am hoping to try but initially it feels like it makes the rod reel a bit too tip-heavy.
The combination with the 3500 is so light compared to what I am used to I hardly know I am fishing...in fact I have almost dropped it into the water a couple of times when changing lures.
Hope this helps...
Ian

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, this has all been a great help. And thanks Rapala for that great info. I think I am convinced to get the Teklon 802 when they come back in stock. Not being able to check one out is a pain but I trust what you experienced guys say so I will go for it. I like the idea of having one rod I can use for most things. Many thanks indeed, this forum is fantastic!

·
Registered
150 Posts
thanks for that i ordered a bushwacker but the place i ordered it did not have it on stock so i cancelled and bit the bullet and done a U turn and reserved a teklon 802 come on!
can't wait for me new toy leaving me a bit skint for now to get a reel to match it up maybe next month

any suggestions on a nice little front drag reel to hang under it looking at a maybe an exage but i don't know what size? any others unfortunately the budget is getting a bit smaller so up to £100 i reckon if im lucky
cheers

·
Registered
44 Posts
I find the 2500 exage matches perfectly.
Holds plenty of braid (15lb recomended for general use)
The 4000 is ok but feels too heavy for me & needs loading with mono backing before braid due to larger spool.

·
Registered
150 Posts
thanks col
i've played about with exages in my local shop there are nice i looked at the 3000&4000 they didn't have a 2500 the 3000 seems small to me but really nice for the money

·
Registered
35 Posts
The 3000 reel has a shallow spool and holds less line than the 2500.

I have a 2500 rear drag which holds plenty of braid and needs no mono backing.

The rear drag may be a bit heavier,but the weight will be nearer the butt and can help to
balance a longer rod.

The other advantage of a rear drag is that you can swap spools easier - ideal if you wish to fish soft plastics and plugs with diferent braids,using the same rod and reel.

·
Registered
150 Posts
thanks for that chris i didn't take any notice of the spool size on the 3000 but i do prefer a front drag reel

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
it's a bit late now I know, but i have the 802 and the only problem i have with it (except for the pink trimmings) is that the grip and reel seat diameters are a bit on the small side and caused my figures to cramp after an hour or so of hard fishing. So i'm having all the bottom end furniture replaced with larger diameter fittings (and no pink)!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
it's a bit late now I know, but i have the 802 and the only problem i have with it (except for the pink trimmings) is that the grip and reel seat diameters are a bit on the small side and caused my figures to cramp after an hour or so of hard fishing. So i'm having all the bottom end furniture replaced with larger diameter fittings (and no pink)!
Thanks for that info Adrian. To be honest, anything will be better than the ancient fibreglass thing I am using now, in fact the rod I have has a very thick diameter, which I do not like at all.. Definitely going for the Teklon, but my attempt at quiting smoking failed so I haven't got the cash just yet!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts