The Lure Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if there isnt a nice and simple cure to the problem of hooks and split rings going rusty so quickly,yes i,like many others try to wash lures in fresh water when i get home but sometimes its just not possible or i forget. Seems a waist of money to say "just put new ones on" ,so for those trebbles that have started rusting (its mostly just a cosmetic thing anyway if its the very early stage of rusting)i thought there must be some kind of acid/solvent or similar available which you can soak the trebbles in for a short while that will eat the rust off and leave the hooks nice and shiney, a bit like putting a dull oxidised penny into vinager and it comes out all shiney and new.Just seems to me that it would be so easy to have a jar with an inch or so of said chemical to drop any hooks into for a few minutes ,or however long it takes, wonder what the chemical is they use to chemically sharpen the hooks in the first place?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hi Trevor,

This is perhaps not exactly what you're looking for but Flambeau make a range of lure boxes called 'Zerust' that feature 'corrosion protection technology'. I believe that the dividers release a gas that helps to prevent oxidisation (rust). I've had some since christmas and so far so good, but I haven't been out much yet this year. I think that it can only help and they aren't any dearer that the average lure boxes

You can find out more here:

http://www.flambeauoutdoors.com/

They are available in the UK on ebay and from here:

http://www.sapsglobal.com/index.php

WD-40 is available in very small cans and in meant to disperse water (I believe), so a quick spray when you finish with each lure might help to prevent rust if you forget to wash them.

As for eating the rust, I've heard that Coca-Cola is great fo getting rid of corrosion on chrome car bumpers. That might be a myth, but worth a try for the money. You could also have a look in Halfords or similar for a product designed for use on cars.

I hope that this helps,

Tony.

·
Registered
268 Posts
For helping to clear the rust if it is not to bad. Vinegar works just submerge the hooks until it goes the rust that is. (no jokes about salt and vinegar on your fish please lol)

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I file the sh!t out of the hooks to get rid of the rust. If its a surface rust, easy to get rid of and is mainly cosmetic I think, but I will just change badly rusted ones. I need to make more effort really as I hate fiddling with split rings etc.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Have you thought of putting a sacrificial anode in your lure box. A small piece of a more noble metal such as aluminum or magnesium doesn't prevent all rust, but provides some protection against small particle charges, usually where there is salt in the water and will slow oxidastion on your hooks.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hi Nick,

Interesting stuff. I've heard about sacrificial anodes in central heating systems but not in other applications. Can you suggest an everyday (cheap/free) source of aluminium and magnesium?

Would we have to keep magnesium away from a naked flame? If I can remember my school chemistry, isn't it flammable?

Many thanks,

Tony.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Have you thought of putting a sacrificial anode in your lure box. A small piece of a more noble metal such as aluminum or magnesium doesn't prevent all rust, but provides some protection against small particle charges, usually where there is salt in the water and will slow oxidastion on your hooks.
That's clever. There IS a chemist out there!

·
Registered
323 Posts
look for a product called saltaway spray or concentrated 4lt just spray or tighten your drag up and throw your reel in the bucket remove let dry done. dose not damage anything get's rid of salt and leaves a protective coat on your gear lures we sell out of it in day's over here cant get anough of it
pete

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Hi Nick,

Interesting stuff. I've heard about sacrificial anodes in central heating systems but not in other applications. Can you suggest an everyday (cheap/free) source of aluminium and magnesium?

Would we have to keep magnesium away from a naked flame? If I can remember my school chemistry, isn't it flammable?

Many thanks,

Tony.
Any boat yard will sell you an anode for an boat. They come in small sizes for outboards.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Tim beat me to it and that is one way. I just bought a small aluminum rod which you can get at all sorts of good DIY type places cut it into inch pieces and leave a bit in my fly and now lure boxes. I have yet to have a rust problem. DO NOT use magnesium as you may get a fizzing reaction :-o with salt water. The more noble the metal the greater the protection but also the greater the reaction.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Any builders bucket,collapsable water carrier with fresh water
after fishing,at the car pour in water and chuck in lures,traces,etc.
Worked for me every time and no rust anywhere..........:wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts