The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening.

I snapped my plugging rod about two weeks ago and as a result I haven't been able to go out plugging and it was driving me mad! Then yesterday a friend came into my work and I was telling him about it and he came back later on that day with 3 of his plugging rods for me to try out, before I go buy a new one.

So after work yesterday at about 3:30 I went straight down to my chosen mark to give these rods a go. First rod I grabbed was an 11ft Normark rock hopper bass plugger. I put on a jelly and had about 3 or 4 casts before switching to my feed shallow. Now I haven't had any joy on the feedshallow yet but after reading the reports from the guys in cornwall I had to give it a whirl and almost straight away I was onto a fish!! (I remember when I purchased this lure the guys in mrfish were saying to give a little strike down and STOP and wait for up to 15 seconds till I started to reel again. Well I did this and when I started retrieving I was straight into a fish! So thanks for that advice guys).

This fish put up a really good scrap and at first I was sure I was onto a Bass as I could just see silver but when I landed the fish I didn't have a clue what it was (still don't)? There was some guy bait fishing near by and he came over and he reckons its either a sea trout or a salmon?

If someone could let me know what this fish is that would be great. I'm sorry about the crappy kitchen shots of this fish but I was fishing alone and had no one to take photos for me! Also it looked abit of a different colour when I first landed it.

How do I upload a picture?

Thanks Rich?

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Hi Richie,

Get yourself an account with Photobucket and go from there, any issues, send me a PM and I will contact you and talk you through it ;)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Do you know if its a Salmon or Sea Trout Bob? I've never caught either so have no idea! Looking at the details on that link, it looks like a Salmon?

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
LiamH said:
Do you know if its a Salmon or Sea Trout Bob? I've never caught either so have no idea! Looking at the details on that link, it looks like a Salmon?
Liam :jump: Cracking Fish :D

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
I maybe wrong but you can hold one up by the tail and the other you cant it slips through, just cant remember which way it goes

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bobjameson said:
Just been looking it up and looks Atlantic salmon , The coho salmon looks very similar but fatter bodied ,

Have you still got the fish richie , for id purpose
Nope oops!! I do have a fair few photos though! I take it these aren't caught over here regularly then?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Ritchie Campion said:
bobjameson said:
Just been looking it up and looks Atlantic salmon , The coho salmon looks very similar but fatter bodied ,

Have you still got the fish richie , for id purpose
Nope oops!! I do have a fair few photos though! I take it these aren't caught over here regularly then?

Most lure anglers will never catch one in our waters. Cracking fish!

·
Registered
825 Posts
well done on the fish i think its a sea trout you said it was a different colour when you caught it was it darker and got lighter as time passed?heres 2 pics to compare.what weight was the fish?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cheers guys, it was pretty fun! Makes a change from catching Pollock lol. Quite tempted to try and get hold of that normark rod for myself now! I'm off out tomorrow to try another one of the three rods.

Pat thats pretty much exactly how it looked actually. How do they taste lol? It weighed 1.8lb, hope thats an ok size to of taken home? I can put more pics on bob no problem but there all kitchen shots haha.

·
Registered
825 Posts
ritchie im not really into eating fish but my 10 year old son loved it i caught it at 7 in the evening at he eat it by 9.well done again.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
looks like sea trout to me but can be difficult with smallish ones to tell from photos. Whichever it actually is ,well done !!! PS Dont know the law in channel isles but on mainland uk if you dont have a game (migratory fish) liscence you are supposed to return them,even if caught in the sea no where near a river.even miles out at sea on a boat i believe !!! They are great fish for the table though ,think thats where it would have ended up if i was as jammy as you lol .

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
No need for a game license in the CI as we don't have any game fish and no rivers etc, they are not a common catch.

I'd call it salmon but they are very similar at that size. The sea trout is normally more coloured but they are rare here so Ive not seen many. Never caugt one either.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts