The Lure Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

Is anyone catching around Sligo/Donegal Bay area ? I am continuing with disappointment at the moment ..... !

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Hi Ray,
I see from your other posts (did a search on Donegal - not stalking you or anything!) that you have been bringing in some pollack - hows Donegal bay going now? Im going to visit my Dad and step mum in Enniskillen next Saturday for four days. Now normally I get some fly fishing in on a nearby lough but the trout season will be over. So am thinking of maybe bringing a plugging outfit and taking a trip to the nearest bit of sea I can manage - The beautiful Bay of Donegal. I only know the beach at Rossnowlagh and the River Drowse fishery in that area (I like to do the New years day 1st Salmon of the year competition- great fun - no luck so far- always freezing!). I am coming with the family(to Enniskillen - not fishing!) so doubt I will get more than half a day away (possibly a whole day if Im a very good boy!) to do it - but can you recommend an area that would be worth a cast? Do you fish dawn or dusk? I know there is a reasonable high tide that weekend - so would hope to be in with a chance. Also - any sign of any Bass - when you search the internet they would have you believe that the water is teeming with them?
Any local advice would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi David

I haven't actually been able to get out much as of late because of house renovations (...cks to that) Ordinarily I would be going out quite a lot and if pressed would say I prefer dawn - although most of my fishing tends to be later in the afternoon. I've certainly caught my nicest fish in the mornings. Had one really good morning a couple of months back when I was getting a hit almost every cast and came away with 4 or 5 Pollack in the 4 - 5lb mark. That was from the rocks with shallow sub-surface lures - my preferred method these days although soft plastics do just as well.

Don't believe what you read on the web as I have never seen a Bass around here, certainly never caught one nor have I heard of anyone catching them. I think we are too far north here - there are a good number down the South, but not here. Around here it is Pollack mostly, Mackerel when they are about and the occasional Wrasse. There are other species also depending upon what method you are using Mullet, dogfish and others.

Personally I do almost all of my fishing up at St.Johns Point which is across the Bay from Rossnowlagh and so I can only really speak about that. If you like Pier fishing then there is Creevy Pier which is not too far from Rossnowlagh. Across the other side from there there is the pier at Salthill below Mountcharles - 10 mins up the road from Donegal town. Down from Rossnowlagh there is Mullaghmore which apparently is good for Pollack off the rocks but I've never tried it yet myself. It is certainly very beautiful there and worth a go if not just for a lovely day out fishing.

Hope this helps and tight lines for the weekend.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Ray - thanks for the reply - certainly wetted my appetite for an excursion. Sorry to hear about the house renno. Promised to redo our bathroom before Christmas - ho hum. Im going to check the map and google earth and using your knowledge pick a spot. I may be in touch again for some fine tuning after the research.
Once again many thanks.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Right then Ray, I've scoped the blurry images on google earth and I reckon its the Creevy Pier peninsula for me. Not really fussed about fishing from a pier - couldnt see it on the images actually, but those rock ledges and gullies everywhere look promising. Also depending on prevailing winds I can go North or south to duck out of an onslaught if that should happen. Likewise Mullaghmore looks pretty good too.
Don't know if you will be able to drag yourself away from the house reno - but I'll try and drop you a line when I know Im heading that way, if you fancy a good excuse to down tools and escape? (unless of course you are lucky enough to be in Jersey?)
I'll be in touch - and thanks again for the tips. Cheers David.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi David

Well I have hired a floor sander for the weekend and spent 110 euro on varnish and stuff... so guess what I am doing this bank holiday weekend .....?! Thanks for the invite anyway and I hope you have a good fishing weekend. I reckon Mullaghmore is worth a shot. Tight lines !

Cheers

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Hi Ray. Hope the floor went well. I never made it this weekend. Been laid low with a foul head cold. Anyway now regained the ability to breathe and am going to head to Mullagmore later this afternoon for a few hours before dusk and up to high tide. If you fancy it I'll be near a parked blue vauxhall zafira with NI plates. Probably in the lee of the wind.
I know it's short notice but great if you can make it.
Cheers Dave.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Dave

Just got your post. Sorry but I am out tonight. Besides it's filthy out there. If you go - hold on tight or you'll get blown away !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts