The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello

been mulling over forking out for a new reel this summer. time has finally come.

I had asked some questions about the rarenium earlier this yr and a lot of people had just started using them and gave good reports. What i'm after is some feedback after caning them over the summer. Can anyone help?

Are they reliable? what if you get a surprise wave over it/ dunk it? How does the drag cope? Is it a long termer that is easily serviceable?

I have also looked at the Cormoran blackstar but have had mixed reports re line lay etc - is this a real issue?

I'm after a reel to go on my grauvell teklon 802 - which rarenium are people using on this rod?

also - any other options. I can't help feeling that Shimano/ Diawa have a lot of history and research/ devpt behind them that some of the other companies don't have. I might be wrong.

I'd be looking to spend up to the price of a rarenium as long as it was a safe and reliable long term bet and could be serviced as needed easily/ cheaply.

Lokk forward to hearing from anyone with some help.

Thanks

Richb

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
I've given both my 3000 & 4000 Rareniums a good thrashing this year, and they are still going strong. So no complaints from me.

They've both taken plenty of full-on waves, but probably not many full-dunks.

I'm hoping for signs of trouble so that I can spend the winter mulling over what to get next, but frustratingly, they are both still fine ;).

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Been using one all season, and no faults at all from mine. It has been so good I actually got myself another one recently and I did dip it entirely in Portland harbour recently whilst wading. I havent washed it out or done anything since the dunk, so we will see if ahe starts moaning soon, but so far its not made a sound. I give them the big thumbs up, honestly, why pay more?

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I have had a 3000 a fair while and it is a great reel. If I need a 4000 soon I will probably get a Rarenium.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
my 2500 has been fished hard. dunked, dropped etc..

been really reliable and still works great.
I've likely tempted fate there..

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a Shimano Rarenium Ci4 3000SFA paired up with the Teklon Concept Spin 802ML and have had no issues to date, It's a solid \ smooth reel which looks so good I wanted to mount it over the fire-place :eek: . If you can stretch the budget the Varivas Braid (Varivas Avani Sea Bass Max Power PE - breaking strain: #1.5 20lb) pairs up well with the above set-up.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yep the rarenium 3000 for me has been great this season, plenty of dunks in the brine and no problems to report. Also excellent at playing the fish, no problems with the drag either. Only trouble I can report is that you really have to make sure the bail arm is fully over when casting as can cause crack off's, not had this problem with other reels so possible it could be user operator problem. If i required another reel would defintatley buy the rarenium agian, light and powerful.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I've not had that problem with the Rarenium Jamo. Have you broken that as well? LOL

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sounds good so far - just need to be sure - i think i'll go with the 3000 on my teklon..

where's the best place to get them? does **** do them?

·
Registered
324 Posts
LOL, no I've been very careful with it. Totally pleased. Though just been down Bouley Bay and nearly lost RB270 and reel to Davey Jones locker as went A over T on some weed. No damage though. ha ha.
I've not had that problem with the Rarenium Jamo. Have you broken that as well? LOL

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
what about these?

how does this compare with the UK rarenium? is it just a re-badged(and re-coloured) uk rarenium?

Shimano Stradic CI4 Spinning Reels Model: STCI4 2500F - obviously there's a 4000 size as well.

and what about these - Shimano Stradic FI Reel Series on the orvis website - i guess they are the normal(metal) version of the above?

How does the retrieve rate of the uk rarenium compare to these two? i think the ci4 stradic is 6:1

Attachments

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I've had a Rarenium 4000 all season, dunked it, dropped it and fallen on it on the rocks. Still strong, but beautifully light and superb line lay, drag is really smooth and I find it really easy to quickly adjust it mid play.
**** will tell you to get a 4000 he reckons its too light if you go less. I asked him about that exact same Stradic and he's of the opinion it winds too fast. Also if anything goes wrong with that US spec Stradic, Shimano uk won't touch it. **** can choose any reel he likes and he uses a Rarenium. Says it all!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
adrian - don't worry about the hi-jack - it's the same question that I've come to. Will buy a rarenium UK spec for my 8ft 802. just need to know what size?

i've got a 3000 exage on it at the mo that looks/ feels about right bulk wise. could be a little lighter though

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Cant find them on his website, and i want one, just not sure whether to go for 3000 or 4000 for use with 8 strand braid, the capacity of the 4000 seems too much (sorry for hijacking thread)

He deffo stocks them - always worth calling him, as only a small percentage of the stock in his shop is on his website - the shop is frightening :shock:.

·
Banned
792 Posts
would take a 3000SFA (shallow spool) if it should be as light as possible...
And the capacity should be enough paired with a good rod.

I took a 4000 size, cause it balanced better with my shükan but is "much" lighter than my good old 4000FA exage.

Cheers
Thomas

1 - 20 of 58 Posts