The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI,does anyone have any imformation re this new range of lure rods ie where the blanks are sourced, weight of the finnished rod etc, they appear to be keenly priced compared to some rods on the market but are they any good or just a Tenryu lookalike!!:?:

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Just a question,,,,,Why would the people that manufacture these rods decide to make them Tenryu red ?

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Looks more like a Rookie copy to me, than a Tenryu copy (aesthetically speaking).

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Any chance of a few casts with it Paul, like to have a go with the finished version.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
They are not red, they are a burgandy colour, like Paul and Si say the same colour as the butt section on a Rookie. I worked with Julian on the disign of these rods, it took about a year of rods being sent to here to test, being scrapped and starting all over again, this happened 3 times before we got it right. Basicall in the end it was easier for me to give him a Rod Bar and a Rookie, I told him to build something that fits the gap between them, and he did, and they are spot on. A better build and action compared to the Rookie, with the blank thickness getting towards a Tenryu (but still only half as thick). I am happy with the result, Julian listened to the guys helping him, Henry, myself, Steve Mullins and others, and I am proud of what was achieved. Say what you like, but this is the UK's first purpose built lure rod for the UK style of lure fishing. I told Julian the other day that I will struggle to sell the 9ft and 10ft ones, he laughed today when I phoned him and said the first two I have sold are the 9ft'ers!! Customers eh!! :)

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
They are not red, they are a burgandy colour, like Paul and Si say the same colour as the butt section on a Rookie. I worked with Julian on the disign of these rods, it took about a year of rods being sent to here to test, being scrapped and starting all over again, this happened 3 times before we got it right. Basicall in the end it was easier for me to give him a Rod Bar and a Rookie, I told him to build something that fits the gap between them, and he did, and they are spot on. A better build and action compared to the Rookie, with the blank thickness getting towards a Tenryu (but still only half as thick). I am happy with the result, Julian listened to the guys helping him, Henry, myself, Steve Mullins and others, and I am proud of what was achieved. Say what you like, but this is the UK's first purpose built lure rod for the UK style of lure fishing. I told Julian the other day that I will struggle to sell the 9ft and 10ft ones, he laughed today when I phoned him and said the first two I have sold are the 9ft'ers!! Customers eh!! :)

So, which ones have you got **** ? Any chance of a quick run-down (length, casting weights, etc . . ) ?

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Nine footers for plugging,,,,,,,,,Me thinks they need educating:eek:

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Um, its Paul and Mike that have bought them, and its for a purpose in Weymouth Nick, I am tempted myself but oif its not red its just not cricket old boy :)
Anything over 8 foot is a spinning rod.:geek::wink::-D
It dosn't have to be long,its all about technique............

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Anything over 8 foot is a spinning rod.:geek::wink::-D
It dosn't have to be long,its all about technique............
I would agree to a certain extent mate, but last year Paul had a 270 and I had a 240, and he was casting about 10yds further than me, thats about 30ft, and it did make a difference as the fish we were finding were quite a way out over a drop off.

In normal circumstances I would prefer to lose a bit of distance to have better control/feel on the lure, but you do need to reach the fish sometime, hence the purchases of these rods yeaterday.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I would agree to a certain extent mate, but last year Paul had a 270 and I had a 240, and he was casting about 10yds further than me, thats about 30ft, and it did make a difference as the fish we were finding were quite a way out over a drop off.

In normal circumstances I would prefer to lose a bit of distance to have better control/feel on the lure, but you do need to reach the fish sometime, hence the purchases of these rods yeaterday.
I can understand that.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Interesting about these rods filling the gap between the Rod Bar and a Rookie-Now that should be a VERY nice rod.
But I have to say longer rods have their place, wouldn't go back to a shorter rod off the shore again-9'6" is great from the shore,
Especially when you have to get out that bit further.
Will have to have a look at Mike's if I get a chance.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I will do a review after Weymouth. I'll be using SPs and plugs and some other stuff ;-) so we'll see eh.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
More new rods has to be a good thing. It shows the manufacturers are at last taking interest in what we do.

As far as rods go, it is a very personal thing. I fish with Dave a fair bit and have to admit his rods are longer than mine..... We fish a lot of the same places, same lures, same techniques but use different rods. Mine are deliberately lighter and shorter.
I have spent fortunes on trying to find the holy grail of rods. Still not there yet.
Long rods have their place. Big seas, big lures, big distances or whatever. And more choice just makes that a bit easier to find the right one.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts

Add another 5 yards at least this year with the YGK ****.

OK so we don't often have to cast that hard but sometimes it helps.

Funny how they wanted those Tide Minnows worked in a certain way that day.....;-)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts