The Lure Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
In response to a request in Shoaling Up! Here's a first go at a video...

OK slightly self aware... and son informed me that through most of the SBS the camera was OFF! I'll do another version - better one but gives you an idea of the material I use... and how easy it is to use... and made me somewhat better than I am as a tyer...

·
Registered
281 Posts
I think I could manage that - just!

Where do you get it from?

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
David,
Wow! that was brilliant and the end product looked great. I've never tied a fly in my life mainly because I've only used a fly rod to cast maggots/buzzers to wary mullet in Ireland but I can certainly see why you do it... Damn that's another thing that could get me literaly "hooked" if I don't control myself and stay away......

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've had a customer test it out on sailfish in Costa Rica for the last couple of weeks... very poor fishing by their standards (funnily enough Doc Ladle struggled in Tobago over the overlapping fortnight he was there) a lack of baitfish inshore. However, Bug-Bond built Cam-Sigler flies accounted for three sailfish- sadly none to the boat and a Bug-Bond Surf Candy accounted for a Triple Tail... sadly no photos! What the customer did tell me was that he'd used Bug-Bond instead of Loon UV knot sense on his braid to mono connections.. he said that it has a better capilliary action and a smoother finish that went through the rod rings better... he's tried it not me :D

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
David,
Great tip about using bug-bond on braided loops, I use Aquasure, which works well. But is the messiest stuff to work with. Might give it a go.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alex in response to your question... in thin "peels" it is very flexible... like a contact lens... to demonstrate how flexible it is I've taken 3D epoxy eyes cured them to a tube (total encapsulation) and taken the item and given it a severe beating against a brick wall... a fracture appeared... not in the Bug-Bond but in the 3D eye... then I took the heel of my boot an drove it down on the item on a quarry tile floor... the set of eyes were shattered beyond belief but held together by the Bug-Bond which retained a full encapsulation... no ill effect apart from a few scuffs from the wall and my boot...

Following my comments a fly tyer in the Lakes has taken a Bug-Bond surf candy and cast it against his wall with no ill effect apart from a few scuffs!

Very small amounts can be used to stiffen up fibres in bait fish patterns so fibres don't foul hooks... I have to say I am biased... its taken 12 months or so to develop it and bring it to the market... long hours and the rest that goes with it!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts