The Lure Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are small 2500 sized reels as reliable as 4000 size?
With light rods such as the Grauvall Tecklon 8' would a 2500 match better?
I have a 4000 Exage FB but was wondering about getting something smaller.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
843 Posts
I have tried the 2500 exage on my 7 feet bushwhacker, it feels good and the balance is ok. Only time will tell on reliability. Its had three outings and feels fine. I believe the reel takes the same amount of line as the 3000 size due to the spool on the 3000 being a shallow spool in comparison.

The reel has enough grunt first impressions are good.

Will tell you in three months if it is still going strong!

Not sure about balance with the slightly longer rod, I am happy with the 7 feet rod, maybe the 8 feet will need a little more weight such as a 3000 size?

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
In theory some of the smaller reels should be stronger than their slightly larger siblings. In the Daiwa range a lot of models use the same body and gearing for 2000, 2500 and 3000 size models. The increase in capacity is created by using a wider diameter spool and rotor. This in turn creates a faster retrieve from the equivalent gearing due to spool circumference increasing and therefore slightly more strain on the gears.
I don't know if Shimano reels adopt a similar approach, it should not be too difficult to compare the reels though.
Daiwa make a 2500R in some series of their reels. This is a larger body with stronger gearing but with a 2500 size spool and rotor. This is intended to make a very strong but more compact reel intended for high 'strain' fishing using braid.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Basically, yes they are as reliable. If you look at top Daiwa and Shimano reels, the 2500 sizes will have about 70% of the drag power (because of smaller parts), but other than that will be equally reliable. In Australia for example they fish for a whole stack of proper fish using 2000 size reels. Nothing we have could really compare, so yea, a 2500 size here seems small and weak, but only because we're used to bigger sizes. Smaller reels are made to the same quality.

Like Mike said, Daiwa make a 2500r size of reel which is basically a 3000 sized body (or parts) with a smaller spool, so it retains the power of the bigger reel. I have a Bradia 2500R sitting in customs at the moment. They'd be perfect (hopefully) for putting on all manner of lighter rods here.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Hi Colin,
I use a couple of the Shimano Spirex 2000 size reels with my Sage rods and they are fantastic.
I have had them for about 10 years now and they are still wonderful.
The only thing I dont like is the fact that they are both 'rear' drag.
Small reels on the correct rod are brilliant.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts