The Lure Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been watching(obsessing over) a lot of Jap videos lately. I've come to notice that while we fish some similar Bass marks, in terms of feature, current, structure etc - They catch lots of fish from areas that I would tend to drive past to get to my rock/estuary mark.

For instance; Marina walls, bridge/pier supports, pontoons/moorings. Are we missing out on fish right under our feet sometimes? Just a thought, does anybody fish these kind of marks? Don't see much like that in the catch reports.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Hi matt, I fish those types of areas quite a lot but using UL gear in the dark. Have had some of my best sessions and biggest fish like that, but not this year for some reason (?)

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Man made structures, at least those 'in bounds' are part of a group of highly desirable marks for Bass in Jersey.

Even very new structures can soon hold new fish and should not be overlooked.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I'm sold. There are a lot of structures in and around Plymouth that tick all the boxes, it's just figuring when the fish are there now then I guess.

·
Registered
843 Posts
When I were a lad! We fished a pier most weekends. Often a good Bass would be caught by fishing a live pouting around the base. Fish were there.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Right down the side for me everytime, pollack seem to love overhanging pontoons & structures as well.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Matt,
Do I fish man made structure-yes, does it work-Absolutely. Some of my most productive marks are far from the rocky headlands that most would imagine for bass fishing.
If it is saltwater, and there is a food source there-Bass will be too.
I had the same thought about this time last year, so far as long as the two comments above (saltwater/food) have been true-I have caught there-From tidal streams that look like trout water, to harbours, jetties and even from the current shadow of a rusting car!!.

Reactions: Matt Newcombe

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice one Dave - So many more possibilities than I ever imagined. There are some places I'm thinking of that would almost be 'urban' Bass fishing, I know they are around as people target them off the bridges with live eel. There are a couple paths and ledges that would enable you to reach at least 2 bridge pillars and consequently into the eddy behind. Will give it all a go and obviously report my findings.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Without urban bass fishing, I wouldn't have any bass fishing!!! It has been quiet this year but most of my bassing is out of hours in built up areas. Avoid busy times of the day and you will very likely surprise yourself.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've been fishing our pier for the last few months. Would fish the falling tide from first light till time for work. Took bass on average about 2.5lb, disappointed with 2 a session. Would avoid pollack corner as didn't want to waste time. Had times when I ahve watched over 50 bass follow the lure durign the retrieve. Then it is always very hard work to get them to take. Prefer the pier to the shore, because the bass are at different distances from the beach at different times of the tide, but the pier is closed for fishing during the day, so fishing time is extremely limited.

Didn't try lure fishing at night, or vary my retrieves much, just used a very slow retrieve with occasional twitches. Next year will fish a lot more at night and also use a stopped retrieve a lot more, thanks to the forum!

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Just came across this and thouhgt i would mentio my best pollock the the year came 2ft from a harbour wall matt. Also a lot of bass has been taken at N Corner by the groynes and support legs to the right mate. Mt batten a lot of good fish taken in the dark between the boulders.
Devils take good bass from the tight left corner.
Millbay pier closed now take fish under the lights swimming through the stantchios.
Suttom harbour 11 bass take this year, sorry that a lie 11 bass taken in 2 months! only fish it past couple down there again. Structure causes current changes traps bait ect as well as many other reasons also for bass they have ambush cover.
Just my thoughts

tight lines all.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice one Mike. Most of those places I tend not to fish, end up driving out to the open coast and fishing rock marks I know I can rely on. Need to put more effort in to finding the fish that live closest to me, could cover a lot of ground in a session by fishing the city marks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts