The Lure Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who's using them?.......and more to the point.....what have you done to the horrors' to get the things functioning effectively?

The little jointed horrors' have the VERY frequent habit of folding back on the cast/splashdown and the two mounted trebles' become entangled with each other. This occurs with alarming frequency and renders the lure ineffective.

1. Bin the front and put a larger treble on the back joint?

2. Two bigger trebles of your own fitted? (Will it work?).

3. Bin the jointed and go with the single body versions?

Answers please on a postcard etc etc.

;-)

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
I'd go for
3. Bin the jointed and go with the single body versions?
My experience of Pike (bearing in mind i am no expert), is that sometimes the simple plugs offer a better, cleaner hook-up. I was using the standard unjointed Jitterbug on Saturday, and whilst it induced a good few hits, i didn't feel that it was offering as clean a hook-up as some other plugs (for example, the Cormoran plug that accounted for 10 Crocs for Marc, and 3 or 4 for me & Luke).

If it's being a pain in the arse to use . . . . . bin it, and use something else. There's such a huge selection of effective plugs available, that i just wouldnt waste valuable fishing time with a lure that's a 'potch'.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Think I will go with the bigger rear treble on it's own for now, whilst looking for one or two effective single bodies'......maybe my Sammy 115's might do the trick..........but your right.....I can smell' those jointed' heading for the hammer.......Now the Argobast JJ is "Supposed" to be a Classic' topwater Pike lure.......more like a classic pain in the A------ if you ask me....with that design problem how did folks manage.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
This is a bit of an odd one as I have more than half a dozen jointed and straight Arbogast Jitterbug’s that have seen extensive use, but I never had this particular problem with any of them.

Since their design by Fred Arbogast, more than 70 years ago, the Jitterbug’s in all its variations have counted tens of for thousands pike, but they haven’t been among my favourite pike lures for years. I still use Jitterbugs an awful lot but now almost exclusively for chub fishing off the top, where they really excel.

Crawlers such as Jitterbug’s can be extremely effective fished over shallow weed beds and around lily pads, but as I strive to catch the biggest possible pike every time I go out I prefer much larger lures such as the Smity Scuttle Bug.

http://www.chicoslures.co.uk/smity-scuttle-black-orange-p-413.html?osCsid=hjdamlfj8heasrgfjmu54e7iq7

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I'd go for
My experience of Pike (bearing in mind i am no expert), is that sometimes the simple plugs offer a better, cleaner hook-up. I was using the standard unjointed Jitterbug on Saturday, and whilst it induced a good few hits, i didn't feel that it was offering as clean a hook-up as some other plugs (for example, the Cormoran plug that accounted for 10 Crocs for Marc, and 3 or 4 for me & Luke).

If it's being a pain in the arse to use . . . . . bin it, and use something else. There's such a huge selection of effective plugs available, that i just wouldnt waste valuable fishing time with a lure that's a 'potch'.
The hook arrangements on the original Jitterbug’s are rubbish and a DIY job in order to improve hook up rates is very much in its place. On most of my Jitterbug’s I remove the original hooks by unscrewing the hook attachment, add a split ring and then fit it with an Owner or Gamakatsu hook in a suitable size.

Some of the most efficient pike catching non walk-the-dog top-water lures ever designed, such as the Bucher Top Raider, the legendary Hawg Wobbler and Shimano’s Jointed Triple Impact are fairly elaborate in their design so I’m not sure I agree that simple is necessarily better.

http://www.eaglesportscenter.com/products/bucher/top.htm

http://www.mouldys.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_2&products_id=1

Reactions: Simon L

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Thanks for the info Vidar. As i mentioned in my post above, i am pretty new to Pike fishing, so only have limited experience in more dedicated Pike Lures. It was simply my observation that the Jitterbug hook-up rates did not seem as good as some of the other plugs that i've been using. The action of the lure has been inducing takes though.

I had been wondering about changing the hooks, and your suggestion of adding the split-rings is a good one. I shall have a play with them, and report back on the results.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Thanks for the info Vidar. As i mentioned in my post above, i am pretty new to Pike fishing, so only have limited experience in more dedicated Pike Lures. It was simply my observation that the Jitterbug hook-up rates did not seem as good as some of the other plugs that i've been using. The action of the lure has been inducing takes though.

I had been wondering about changing the hooks, and your suggestion of adding the split-rings is a good one. I shall have a play with them, and report back on the results.
Do yourself a favour and relegate the Jitterbug to your lure box for chub fishing and then buy yourself some Shimano Triple Impact’s in the 120, 130 and 140mm version.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_tr...mano+triple+impact+&_sacat=See-All-Categories

The jointed Triple Impact has been my most successful top-water lure the last 5 years or so, but are now very, very difficult to lay your hands on.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SHIMANO-Jointed...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a56abfe70

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Vidar said:

The hook arrangements on the original Jitterbug’s are rubbish and a DIY job in order to improve hook up rates is very much in its place.
Hook arrangements rubbish indeed, which was why I couldn't understand how the Lure was such a "classic"......more like a classic case of garbage, straight out of the box.

I never had this particular problem with any of them.
Odd that.....more like happening 50% of the time, straight out of the box.

Will be DIY'ing what I have got....and looking for good alternatives.....that will work. That Smitty' is a real monster, looks like a small club! :shock:

Thanks Vidar,

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
That Smitty' is a real monster, looks like a small club! :shock:
Yes, indeed it is ;-);-)

I’m not saying that smaller top-water lures such as the Jitterbug won’t catch you pike. They certainly will, and even a few big ones in between.

However, what I am saying is that larger top-water lures in the 120 to 180mm range and lures with a bigger silhouette will consistently catch you the larger pike.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Scuttle Bugs- Vidar that takes me back a bit, They used to be deadly at Startops Lake (a part of Tring Reservoir), especially first and last light.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Simon:

Whilst I have taken Vidars' advice on switching focus re size/type of topwater''...........re these Jointed Jitterbugs......have removed original hooks, upgunned in size on some (eagle claw trebs.) and only using upgunned rear trebles (no front trb.) on others. 5mm split rings and larger gapes seem to make a difference. Time and use will tell.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Feedback.......the larger (size 1/0 fitted)....and 5mm split rings, do indeed make a very considerable improvement to the "fouling" ratio of the original set-up on the jointed version....a lucky' double amongst a few others on the first trial sweetened the result.

Not that impressed with the eagle-claw trebs' though (only my opinion)....Owner or Gamakatso' change over probably coming.

For a relatively small profile of a surface lure, this can work well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
not had particular hookup problem with jjbs as standard,just the standard topwater advice to offer ,feel the take then strike.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just a couple of little things i do with JJbs. first play around with the vane if you are not getting takes,changing the splash/sound/vibration could change your ratio,
Second.whenever you get a pike hit your lure,always check the trace/split rings/hooks the force that a pike puts on a surface lure is alot.....just my opinion

1 - 14 of 14 Posts