The Lure Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping for peoples opinions re articulated jigheads. Boring subject I know, but its an area of SP fishing I don't really get.

I have used various types of standard fixed jigheads now, as well as cone weights, weighted hooks, hitchhikers etc. I have obtained through various drunken spending spree's, a number of different articulated heads. These are mainly in the larger sizes, ie 12g+. I still haven't used them though!

I rigged a couple of Giant Xlayers on them the other day, mounting the xlayer on a standard 4/0 Varivas Big Mouth hook, then clipping to the head. It looks funny. I will be giving it a go on deeper marks with more tide, but my question is who uses articulated, and why would you choose one over standard fixed? Is it purely so you can change weight more quickly?

I look forward to your responses.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I use Canelle articulated jigheads about 75% of the time - used to only get them abroad in France or Germany but I noticed Veals now do them (out of stock tho') I very rarely change the weights - its all about the movement - gives you a horizontal axis rather than been fixed ... not done my catch rate any harm tbh and a bit of extra movement can't harm ...

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
I have bought some of those Alex .... what hooks do you use with them?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I was looking at them at Veals too because i want to use a texas style 3/0 hook on a giant xlayer, with a fairly light weight ball, 8g that pulls UP rather than forward as does a cone head. I find cone heads snag too much over rough ground. Anyone seen articulated heads lighter than 8g?

·
Registered
129 Posts

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I was an articulated jighead addict for a few years using Owner JH66 (21g I think) which are brilliant (ultimate "wobble") and Storm articulated hig heads (shad with holographic finish) off the boat in 15-100g which are even better and come with a strong VMC hook. The UK distributors don't import the Storm articulated though, so its la belle France for those. Delalande make some very good articulated heads that are sold without hooks, but the finish is pretty basic.

A French pro (with a very deep voice ****) told me that hookups on articulated jig heads are not as good as they are with fixed jigheads, that's probably why Xlayers have been fished by the pros on bachi heads for a number of years.

Chacun à son goȗt.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
I have tried quite a few articulated heads and I dont see any fish catching advantages, it is handy that you can change the size of hook etc, but articulated heads are a nightmare for unhooking from fish, you cant get any prise on it.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
If its any help Doc all you do is drill out a bullet weight a little bit, twist a short length of stainless wire into a small loop at one end, push the other straight end through the hole in the lead, make anotther neat loop at the other end, then squash the weight in a vice with smooth jaws, file off the top third to create a keel effect, glue on some eyes and the Patchinko master's your grandad's son, as they say.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I have tried those Cannelle ones and 'for me' didn't like them at all.
I much prefer just a normal jig head......

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
my personal views on articulated heads are they aren't worth bothering with.

For de-barbed application, big fish etc, they might aid with fish not using the jig head to throw the hookset.

Under 10g which is my usual high end, I don't think articulated heads are any help. Just my opinion of course but we do loads of this type of fishing.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all for your thoughts. I don't use heads any heavier than 12g for 95% of my angling, so I am going to stick to what I know, ie fixed standard jigheads and weighted hooks.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Get out in the boat in some deep water and 4 knots of tide with a 80g jighead Mark. It's handy to be able to change some of those cod size hooks for more discrete bass and wrasse size hooks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts