Assist hooks, what size? | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Assist hooks, what size?

Discussion in 'Metal Lures' started by {name}, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Wrasse

I have just purchased some IMA Gun 7g metals and intend to fit with some assist hooks.

Can anyone let me know what riging options are suitable such as double or single, front, or back mounted and what size hooks? Maybe even front on one with a single plugging hook behind
    I have 3 to experiment with so I have options.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Mike.....

2. Snapper

I tend to use hooks around #8 for metals of that size, some jiggers will tell you that the gape has to be wider than the jig itself, which does make sense in some circumstances.

In the UK I find a single front assist works fine as our fish tend to be bigger on the whole and have bigger mouths.
    Abroad (med is the main place I've been) I'd use a rear hook as the fish are tail nippers and generally have smaller mouths, check this Derbio for instance;
    image.jpg

I tend to carry few jigs with variances though or add and remove hooks as I see fit, also carry spares of varying length.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
  3. Wrasse

Thanks for the advice Lee, loving the collection of small metals.
    Stuck a small #4 plugging single on the back for now which does not look out of place. Now just have to get the right conditions to give them a go on a couple of marks I know.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sprat