The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bumped into another member while out yesterday, and he put me onto a new mark. Had a quick look last night, seemed to be some bass (and monster mullet) present. So there went any chance of a lie in this morning.

Was on the bank by 4.25am and the water was ripping through. Several rises nearby looked promising.
So in keeping with the small lures theme recently I thought I would try a new lure. The OSP Asura, in Ghost Minnow. Looked the business, cast pretty well for it's light 8.5g.
Started fishing the lure with the flow, just sightly faster than the flow, a few casts later, BANG bass on. In the heavy flow the fight was "interesting", but soon had the bass on the bank.

No monster, but seemed to show I was in the right place.
I moved along the mark and found a countercurrent running back along the edge of the main flow. Now I know from trout fishing that countercurrents and backeddies are favourate holding areas for fish. They can watch what is drifting past, while not doing much effort wise.
Well first cast into the countercurrent gets hammered just as it is about to leave the countercurrent, Better fight , alot of thrashing on the top, and a couple of down current runs, bring bass number two to the bank.

This one is a keeper sized of about 40cm, and it is soon back in the water.
Now while unhooking the bass I had spotted a coupe of big swirls and bait leaping for it's life. It was right in the middle of the main flow. So rather than risk moving around to get an upcurrent cast. I decided to cast down and sightly across the current and trot the plug back (just hold enough tension to keep the plug working) to the area the fish had shown in. By leaving the bail arm open, I could work the plug back down current, hopefully to make it look like a struggling baitfish. Must have been close has it got hammered. Bass on!!
Knocked the bail arm over, and line starts to peel off the reel-bass makes a run UPCURRENT past me, and stays deep. Serious head shaking all the way. A few tense minutes later I manage to grab the leader and beach bass number three. A much better bass of 59.5cm (just couldn't make 60cm no matter how much I hoped it would), about 4-4.5lb.

Cracking chubby sussex bass, hooks popped free, and back in the drink it went.
By now the tide had started to slacken off, signs of bass dried up. Managed a couple of microbass (10-12cm). But decided to quit and head home for breakfast.
MANY THANKS to the forum member for putting me on to this mark, sharing marks is quite something for bass anglers.
Asura definately proved worth having in the box, great as a jerkbait, but also a nice action/depth with a normal retrieve.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Cracking descriptive report there Dave :clap:, a really good read :D.

A very nice mornings work.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers Guys,
Especially Keith, Sorry mate I have been pinching off you again! That good bass was caught by using the technique you mentioned in one of your blogs. I am always happy to learn, and practise any new technique until I can get it to work. But it does require someone to lead the way, and be generous enough to share what they have learnt. Keep the good stuff coming, SO MUCH more for me to learn!

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Dave, cracking report and pictures. Plenty of detail for the rest of us to learn from.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Nice one, great report.
As with all the top quality reports we get on here, it just gets me wanting to get out there & fish.
Unfortunatley, due to work & social comitments that looks unlikely.
Unless I follow your lead & get out for a sunrise session in the morning...

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Dave

Excellent report. But I'm not a 100% sure what you describe as a counter current is.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nigel,
Countercurrent is an area where the main fow is deflected, and the water within that area flows in the opposite direction to the main flow. Often happens around sharp bends in a river, the outside of the bend flows one way, inside of the bend flows the oppsite way. Same can happen with tide flowing around a point, tide fows past, forms a rip, and that rip draws water into it self causing a current in the opposite driection to the tide.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
A lovely sess there Dave, that asura is a mighty fine small lure although I'm currently running it with the rear treble removed due to the greedy bass inhaling the small plug down their gullets! The last few sessions have seen me upsizing to a bigger plug to make the unhooking easier :)

A mighty fine plug though that can cast miles for its weight 9gr?

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Cracking report mate with some luverly fish! Top stuff!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nice one Dave. Another fan of the Asura here!

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Nigel,
Countercurrent is an area where the main fow is deflected, and the water within that area flows in the opposite direction to the main flow. Often happens around sharp bends in a river, the outside of the bend flows one way, inside of the bend flows the oppsite way. Same can happen with tide flowing around a point, tide fows past, forms a rip, and that rip draws water into it self causing a current in the opposite driection to the tide.
Thanks Dave, I understand now.

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
A great post and pics, with some lovely bass ... nice one Dave. Not heard of that lure before .... what sort of depth does it run at?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts