The Lure Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As some of you know I set out on Wednesday morning for two days cloak and dagger fishing in West Wales. Kit was packed, lies were told and in high spirits I set of to revisit some of the marks that I fished on the bumble and try a few new ones.

Wednesday was a write off, beautiful sunny day though. The first venue I tried proved almost un fishable due to the size of the surf and me leaving my brave pills at home, second spot was over run with sunbathers and rubber inflatable boats so I do what I do best and went to the pub! Joined up with Tim for an evening bash and with renewed confidence (because the pub was close by) set out to catch my first bass of the year - no dice. Water clarity was not great and neither Tim or I moved a fish. Had a couple of pints of very nice Bass with Tim afterwards to cheer up and he gave me some pointers for the morning. After he had gone I managed to winkle £57 out the fruity so the day wasn't all bad! The fruity win felt like a good omen so I celebrated with several more Bass and dreamed of things to come in the morning.

Up with the slightly fuzzy headed lark I followed Tim's advice and was on the rocks to fish the early morning flooding tide. Everything looked perfect, water was like gin, bait fish everywhere and a beautiful sunny morning. Didn't see a fish - nothing. So in the best traditions of a pseudo Welsh bumbler I went back to the pub (good place - open at 10:30am) to make plans for the afternoon / evening.

There had to be fish at the morning's mark, it looked perfect so just as the tide started to flood I was back. I fished hard, tried pretty much everything in the lure box but still a big fat zero. It was a toss up to decide if my hope or the light was fading fastest. 9:45pm, one last chance before the light went and I had to go. So I climbed on to Tim's secret rock and clipped on a mackerel patterned Tide Minnow. Picked that one as it is the lure in my box that I think looks most like a fish! After 3 or 4 casts bump, fish on!! Only a little blighter (crap camera phone picci only) but a bass!! Next cast nothing, next cast followed to my feet by a decent fish, next cast thump - fish on again!! Decent bend in the rod this time and even a hint of line leaving the reel. I had gone from 'pathetic blanker' to Bass God in 4 casts! Down to earth with a bump though, just as the second fish came into view it performed an almost perfect soft, long range C&R and dived for the deep. Almost perfect because it a left a big old scale on the middle treble!

Well that was the end of the fishy action for the night. Comedic action getting off the 'special' rock - more of a swim than a wade - damp pants for the drive home but well worth it! (Total bassing mile this year - 1790!!)

Tim - thanks for your help.

Welsh bass..GIF

Attachments

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
:rofl: Cracking report Greg !!!! Sorry i couldnt join you for the Bass (both types ;)) on Thu, but hopefully will get a chance to meet up soon. Well done on getting off the mark :clap: :clap:

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Greg - glad you found the "special" rock and yet again it produced! I lost a good fish in similar circumstances last weekend so we'll have to try and get "Houdini" out of his watery lair for a photo. You were warned about getting off - it fills up real quick and in fading light that must have been a bit hairy. Thankfully you are taller than most! Well done on catching as it cetrainly wasn't easy on Wednesday. Even better luck on the fruitie. I was eyeing it up while we were having a beer but had decided it would be rude to pop a couple of quid in. Next time I won't be so polite ;)
Great report - loved it!

Hopefully my reputation for bass guiding has improved with you now after the flak you gave me following the Bumble??

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
welldone greg for keeping at it matey,next trip will be a cracker im sure.wel have to hook up sometime be it down there or up here and sample some fine beverage.....oh god!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Great report Greg and made up for you on your first Bass of the season, glad you caught it in Wales :-D

·
Registered
48 Posts
good one greg that rock (i think i know which one) is were i had my first bass of 2010 so it brings bass for both of us!

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Nice one Greg....

But you can't lose really... both your favourite pass times together...Drown your sorrows if you don't catch.... celebrate the fish if you do....That's my kind of hobby....Well done mate..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts