The Lure Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I snuck out of work early to have a scout around before a dawn raid tomorrow. So 2.30pm sees me tiptoeing across a new bit of reef well east of brighton. Boiling hot, flat calm and hardly a cloud in the sky. Perfect bassing conditions??

Well third cast gets nailed, a short wierd fight. I found out why the fight was odd, one treble in the corner of the bass's mouth and the other firmly hooked into some seaweed. So time for me to do a bit of deep wading, collected the bass, and found out it had taken the lure in less than a foot of water. 54cm of bass was soon zooming back towards deep water.

I moved along the reef to another area with access to slightly deeper water, fifth cast sees me hooked up again. This bass seems intent on try to burrow through the reef. But being lucky I managed to keep the braid away from the edges. And within a minute or two bass number two is safely landed. 51cm and very darkly coloured, it too heads for deep water as soon as it is released.

The tide has bottomed out, but I make one more move, wading carefully out to a rock that stick out from the reef. A cast from there angling out into the current and clear water is attacked as soon as I start to retrieve it, but the bass misses it not once, not twice, but three times. Fourth time however it nailed the lure, and took off running. A good spirted fight brought bass number three to my feet. 49cm and it was quickly unhooked in the water.

Well finally the bass are back on the reef in Sussex. So to all those that plug in Sussex-Go get them!!

Oh and the lure that was doing the business, in clear water, blazing sunshine, and flat calm in a foot or so of water???

Patchinko 100 in Cabot!!

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Stunning report Dave and very well done, you deserved that !

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve,
I love fishing the reef, normally into bass there before anywhere else. Plus MUCH better chance of something decent size wise.
But this year I have struggled and struggled to find any fish there.
But looks like the drought is over, and the weather looks good for the next few days at least. Sussex at it's finest!!

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Well done Dave! i confess to several blank trips lately but the damn rot finally seems to be dissapearing so heres hoping!

Well done indeed!

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Well done Dave.......

Did you stop the retreive after each of the three misses or just keep a steady retreive??

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Trev,
I know it has been written that stopping the lure is a good idea when a bass misses. But every time I have tried that, I have never got a hook up.
Lets be honest, no baitfish would ever stop if a bass was after it, so I don't stop the retrieve either. Just keep the retrieve going until you feel the weight-NO STRIKING!!

Andrew,
The May Rot is gone, Mackerel on the beaches, bass on the reef/beaches (and chasing the mackerel) In short all is rosey in Sussex (until the wind goes southerly!!)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well done Dave. I was beginning to think there were no fish in the South East region! Been out last 7 times, different locations, different tactics, all blanks. Gives me renewed hope, cheers m8.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Great result Dave - gives me a bit more confidence fishing into the darkness over the next few nights.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Out again this morning (dawn felt awfully early today!!),
Landed one on a Duo SLD-F125 in H134, dropped one after the fight (just as I was reaching for the leader) on a Patchinko100, and had a REALLY GOOD sized Garfish (about 2lb) on a Ima Sasuke 95F.
A friend I was fishing with had one on the Brand spanking new Ecilspe Drift Pencil 75. Brilliant looking lure, great on a slow retrieve, and flashes beautifully in free fall. I will be getting my sticky paws on both sizes of the Drift Pencil, Casts like a bullet.
First time using a Ima lure, and must admit that the Sasuke 95F impressed me. Nice strong action, casts well for it size. Garfish seem to like it!! (but they seem to love all my lures when they are around.

Strangely all the fish caught today came about an hour AFTER the tide turned, in bright sunshine.

Dave, things should improve now, stick with it!!

Andy, I agree those highs in the middle of the night are tempting, All bass taken in the last two days were on/in the reef, literally knee depth water.

·
Banned
792 Posts
hey, that was new to me: had my first garfish in Thorsminde / DK this year on a feed shallow! (thx Spitfire_Tom for that one!)
This Garfish had 72cm, but I never ever had one before on a plug. Used to use stripes of hering.
So an other two garfish I had at that session I got with my 5" Berkley Jerk Shad in Mullet and one on an Daiwa shore line shiner R40 laser chart. DaiwaSLSR40.jpg

Garfish.jpg

Cheers
Thomas

Attachments

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Thanks for the info Dave - I think I'll go east a bit to a couple of marks that would be good around low water.

I've just returned from a local mark. There was surface activity spread over a considerable area. Nothing manic, just fish casually feeding. I tried several lures but got no interest at all even when bringing a 3.5 inch popper through a group of them.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Strange Andy,
As I would have thought 3.5" would be spot on. Most of the bass taken by me and a mate over the last couple of days have been on lures 75-100mm. They were being picky though, looked like they were hitting small bait, and they often get very choosey under those conditions. Did get one a SLD-F 125 worked at a medium pace. Worth changing the lures often and work through different retrieves until you find something they like.
Good luck for tomorrow.
Dave

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I've been looking through another post and, if the conditions are the same tomorrow evening, then I'll rig a delta eel as a teaser in tandem with the small popper.

Thanks again
Andy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts