The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whilst diving the SE and SW coasts early August numerous divers have reported Cuttles active mid water and half buried in softer sand with heads exposed.

Just a note for future reference as the Eging season should be traditionally set to explode into action very shortly. I know from previous experience that mixed Cuttle / Squid catches are common during Sept.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I was out on a Charter boat b**t fishing of the SW coast last week and we where getting hammered on the drops and retrieves by cuttles - managed to get a couple and used them to catch some big congers!

I know of a spot out east that was throwing up hundreds of cuttles mid august last year in the daytime!

Bah and there was me hoping to hit into the bass before I got sidetracked with all things with tentacles!

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Thats interesting about the spot out east as I have read articles when Large Bass become obsessed with feeding on cuttles/squid at certain types of the year. It may be worth having a go with a yo-zuri squid lure. Give us a clue where the spot is PLEASE

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Alan, they were getting lots of Cuttles in the pots within yards of the artificial rock thing round the outside of the reclaimed land. Just have to avoid days with heavy swell

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Some big rockies I have seen along there when snorkelling as well...I haven't given it a go still for some reason.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Just a note, re an awful lot of cuttle fish chasing lures behind Gorey castle last week late afternoons.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Thats interesting about the spot out east as I have read articles when Large Bass become obsessed with feeding on cuttles/squid at certain types of the year. It may be worth having a go with a yo-zuri squid lure. Give us a clue where the spot is PLEASE
I have heard that bigger bass feed hard on dead cuttles when they die after spawning. In some places that breeding seems to be en masse, so the bass must get fed up (in the original sense of the phrase) pretty quickly.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Alex,
Whole squid/half a cuttle is proving to be the bait of choice along the sussex coast this year, mackerel baits largely ignored. Not sure if this due to an increase in squid/cuttle numbers or the dramatic drop in mackerel numbers inshore this year.
Not sure if squid/cuttle would work live baited, tried overseas, and they tend to pull themselves off the hook.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Alex, I don't think a bass would go near a live cuttle. Many would be simply too big a mouthful, they have a really nasty beak that they use very freely. Having said that I understand they use live squid in Australia (for king fish?) and I think they are bridle rigged (to Dave's point).

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I'll go down with you if you like Alex, they should be pretty easy to catch. The harbour will be full of livebaiters for the big bass though. Re the squid, Keith told me a while back that they have livebaited with biggish squid in the past and had success. Half a cuttle is supposed to be an awesome big bass bait as well. Congers like it lots as well though...

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Anyone tried live***ing for Bass with cuttles?
No, but have with Squid and usually in Oct/Nov

I've had Bass to over 12lb on live Squid when Live Pout or Grasdos are being battered by Squid/Cuttles.

I also think Bass don't like en mass Cephalopod incursions as they ARE very aggressive little chaps and, later on, not so little.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts