The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Despite clocking up just over 1,200 miles during August and getting out as often as I could to a variety of locations it was a very tough Month, only three micro Pollack landed and 1 Bass hooked and lost. Not the best of rewards for the miles covered but conditions haven't been brilliant around the Welsh coast and I know a number of others have found it hard going on the plugs so not too disheartened. The highlight for August was the Welsh bumble (thanks **** for coining this phrase and starting a revolution) always great to meet up with like minded soles, put faces to names and enjoy the banter, a great day and many thanks to Simon and Tim for pulling everything together and the heroic journeys that many made.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]So this brings us to September with the Weymouth comp and the North Wales bumble firmly placed on the calender and time booked off. I've spent the past week ordering a few bits and pieces in order to get ready for heading down to Weymouth, nothing secret squirrelish just replacement hooks and split rings along with spare braid et al. So yesterday morning I set off to try a new mark in Cardigan bay on arrival things were looking pretty good, not too much wind and the water clarity was the best I've seen this year the swell was quite high but looked manageable enough. I found a nice channel heading out from the reef with a few exposed rocks on either side so waded out to one and cast out a Gun Fish, I always tend to start off on the top as I know if I catch with anything else I will never get round to clipping one on if this makes sense. After several casts and covering the whole are a couple of times I decided to change over to a Feed Shallow, working a little deeper. The swell wasn't too bad covering my feet now and again and a few splashes in my face but I've fished in a lot worse. As I crouched down to change lures I noticed that the water around the rock I was on seemed a lot lower than I remembered and there was a strange rumbling to my left, I looked up and was confronted with a wall of water that was easily 10' to 15' high. It was as though a piece of Ireland had dropped off a few hours before, the only real thing I remember is instinctively placing my hand over my glasses as my face slammed into the wave. What followed were several seconds of white water mayhem which culminated with me slumped over a rock, feet in the air and my head still in the water, this was the wrong moment to take my first breath. Coughing spluttering and limping I began to gather my thoughts as I looked around for a rock to sit on, now breathable waders are great but have you ever tried emptying them of water in a dignified way. Not really the start to September that I had envisaged with another camera and phone trashed and everything else given a good dunking. Now I could of gone home to lick my wounds but instead I thought sod it if Kieth can skish I can put up with being a bit damp so on went the Feed Shallow and back down to the rocks I went. Fourth cast out and wallop I've never had line strip from the reel like this before and after a couple on minutes a beautiful Bass of just over 4lbs (Boga scale) not too long but very plump, massive grin on my face as I slipped him back. During the next 20 minutes I landed three more with the largest just being over 2lb and two schooly's. After half an hour it then went very quiet so I strode back to the car as happy as Larry and an extra spring in my step. So now my kit is rinsed and sorted a few confidence points banked just need to pick up a new camera and I'm ready for Weymouth, cant wait its going to be good. I've also spent the afternoon looking at auto inflate life jackets as I'm not going out alone again until I get one.[/FONT]

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Superb report John :clap:. Scary moment you had there, but just glad you came through it ok. We were confronted by a huge swell on the South Coast y'day, and we decided that discretion was the better part of valour, and hid away from the brunt of it.

Well done on a super-session, and a lovely 4lb'er !!

Looking forward to meeting up with you & Jack in Weymouth next week :D.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Well done John after your hard work, it was bound to pay off. Waterproof camera best idea together with boyance aid/life jacket. great report too John reminding us the sea should not be under estimated.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well done on the fish john, that was a good but scary read. I went down to mumbles yesterday(blanked again) and had a few hairy moments myself, did`t get dunked but found myself taking a few sharp runs up the rocks to avoid some big waves. Amazes me what risks we sometimes take just to catch a few fish.

·
Registered
519 Posts
good one John, nice few fish you had there.

always got to keep an eye on the water around you mate, them swells can come out of nowhere sometimes,

all the best

kev

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Nice report John, safe and sound which is good, but lesson I learnt again the other night is never turn your back to mother ocean, she always has a few surprises up her sleeve eh! See you next week.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Cracking report John. Glad your still with us LOL. Good too see you got straight back on the horse and got into the fish. Well done!

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Great report John and well done on the fish :p You are a far better angler than your results so far, stick at it and will see you at Weymouth :-D

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
That's one scary moment for you John! I'm glad that you came out of and then stuck to your guns. it's only right that the karma came good and you found the elusive Cardigan Bass.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Well done on the fish

One of the first lessons my father tought me was never underestimate the sea, she has a habit of catching us out.

The odd reminder like that keeps the respect we have.

Glad your safe and wish you good luck at Weymouth

Marc

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Phew, John - sounds like a close one. Be careful out there especially when fishing alone - we saw a rogue wave down at the Bumble that caught some out. Stunned by your determination to keep fishing and so pleased you were well rewarded with four nice bass. You've come a long way in the last 12 months, and I look forwards to seeing you this weekend at Weymouth!

PS Time to reread the threads on waterproof cameras and get a waterproof carrier for the phone!

·
Banned
1,282 Posts
great report John, and four fish for your efforts. The thought of getting caught out by a big growler scares the life out of me, even tho' we all know it happens we still get caught.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
glad your safe mate thats the main thing perseverance paid off in the end though well done

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
scary stuff, well done for keeping going and the just reward you got, but never mess with the sea.................10 to 15 foot wall of water out of nowhere , think i would have sh....t meself and gone home

·
Registered
207 Posts
Rogue waves are incredibly common by all accounts. I watched a tv program the other day about ships getting written off and sunk without trace and they see and hit them all the time. I've been caught out myself, whilst fishing on the rocks at a mark I know well and think I've got a bit of experience after 30 years surfing. It's not a good feeling when you're wondering where you'll get washed to! Like you say the life vest, floatation vest is the way to go. Don't fancy going to my own funeral just yet !

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the comments guys, I have now had a chance to reflect on what happened and it still scares the crap out of me. What I didn't mention in the report was the rock I was slumped over was over 30' from where the wave hit me and way back up above the high tide line, I'm just lucky my head didn't connect with any of the rocks, I will certainly be a little more cautious with my risk assessments in the future. I've been doing a bit of research on Life Vests which is throwing up some interesting points and I will put up a new post with my findings once I have decided what to go for.

Taking the Cardigan Bay Tsunami out of the equation this was the best days fishing I've had over the last twelve Months and so will be remembered for the right reasons. Its been an interesting journey from serial blanker to today and my enthusiasm for lure fishing is greater than its ever been. This is in no small part due to the infectious enthusiasm, encouragement and guidance from Tim and George Griffin along with Simon Lewis and as we say in this part of the world “Top Geezers” as well as the wider community we call The Lure Forum, cheers guys.

Now what does everyone want to drink in Weymouth the first round is on me.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Gwyn, I'm sure I will be down in South Pembs again before the end of the Month so you wont have to travel far for that drink.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Cheers mate.[/FONT]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts