Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rod :- Shimano Lesath 11ft Rated Extra Heavy

Reel:- Shimano Stradic 5000

Main Line:- Berkely Whiplash Crystal 20ib

Leader :- 5ft of YKG 20ib

Lures Used :- TW’s, Lucky Craft Gunn Fish 115 , Xorus Frosty ,

Divers, Rapala Sliver

SP’s , Flashmer Shads ,Fiiish Minnows .

Last month I was invited to the B.A.S.S. Menai Fish-In by B.A.S.S. member Glen Roland . The event is held every October at the Southern end of the Menai Straights and is organised by B.A.S.S. member Phill Arnott . When I was contacted by Glen regarding the event I was looking forward to visiting an old mark , in fact I had not fished the place for 14 years and was interested to see if any of the old hot spots still produced.

When we arrived the conditions were a bit challenging to say the least , bright Sunshine , Gin Clear water and plenty of watercraft , not the best conditions for fishing the Straights but we gave it a go . When we got on the beach I noticed in a small bay Sand Eel and Sprat sheltering out of the main tide flow , with this sight in mind I decided to try a couple of Top Waters . The Top Waters did not produce a take or an inquiry, so I decided to move further up the beach and try and fish a deep water Tide Seam , here a different approach would be needed and I clipped on a Rapala Sliver and retrieved it at a very fast pace . While using the Sliver I got two follows by some nice looking Bass but did not commit to the lure ,however I saw this was a good sign that there were some fish about and decided to change my approach again. I decided to try some Soft Plastics and mixed it up, by switching back and forth with Fiiish Minnows and Flashmer Shads to try and match the profile of the Sprats I saw earlier on , going on the hunch that the Bass would be feeding on them.

Glen's Branzino seeing some action .

My technique was quite simple , I would cast up tide and let the lure sink, then quickly wind in the slack to maintain contact and left the Lure drift down with the tide , only lifting the rod tip every now and then when I felt the lure touch bottom .The most important thing was to get the correct jig head weight , too heavy and the lure would drag bottom , too light and it would lift too high in the water column . The technique proved very effective and started to catch some nice fish , the reason why was because the fish were holding close to the sea bed due to the strong tide run .In all , I caught 7 Bass and lost a good fish around 8-9ib that was lightly hooked in the lip while fighting in a Strong tide run .

Here is a video made by John Skinner of the technique I used :-

If any members are interested in attending the Menai Fish-In next year, you don’t have to be a member of B.A.S.S. to fish the event and you can either fish by Lure or Bait . There is also plenty of parking spaces available and if you want to stay over the weekend accommodation or camping can be arranged.

Thanks for reading

Gary

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Well done Gary and Glen on mastering those conditions and hooking some well conditioned bass.Nice 'bendage' photo and you can make out the power of the tidal flow behind.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Well done Gary and Glen on mastering those conditions and hooking some well conditioned bass.Nice 'bendage' photo and you can make out the power of the tidal flow behind.
Hi Gareth, I was amazed at how strong the current is there at the point, it was difficult to keep on your feet if you waded out more than a couple of metres, and it makes it very difficult to land a fish against it, it felt like I hooked a monster!
Fortunately Gary was on hand to coach me into walking along the beach with the current as I tried to land it rather than trying to fight the fish and the current which may not have ended as well.

2015-10-02 16.31.39 (1280x720).jpg

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Top fishing Gary :clap:. Thanks for a great report and pictures :cool:.

Reactions: Gary Evans

·
Registered
307 Posts
Wow I thought the straits was only good at night! Lots to learn still me thinks not least trying these new techniques, I would have thrashed a surface plug around for a few hours then called it a day after blanking assuming there was no fish there - thanks for the report and top pics!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow I thought the straits was only good at night! Lots to learn still me thinks not least trying these new techniques, I would have thrashed a surface plug around for a few hours then called it a day after blanking assuming there was no fish there - thanks for the report and top pics!
It always pays to mix techniques while lure fishing on the Straits or anywhere else for that matter , never get complacent fishing one type of lure or technique during a sesh .

A lot of anglers would have avoided fishing that mark because of the fierce tide run , but I learnt a long time ago fishing the Swellies that the Bass like fast moving water and that's the place to target them .

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Gary can you please let me know the date so I can book leave if im working.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts