The Lure Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Travelled south last night to a spot I haven't fished since I was about 10, with my Dad. Using worm baits under monster floats, I used to bang baby wrasse out one after the other. It hasn't changed much.

wrasse..jpg

First fish was this small wrasse on a Reins bait. I start off slowly bouncing baits across the bottom, but these small fish only really seemed interested in taking when it was moving. Same pattern with the dozen or so pollack I had. I only had the one wrasse but over one sandy spot almost directly below me I was able to watch a group of them and it was interesting to see how they reacted to different baits. Bottom bounced baits drew attention from any fish within about 3 feet if they were just twitched even slightly. The fish showed 10 seconds or so of interest and if nothing moved, they'd begin to drift off again. Another twitch and they'd be swimming back on themselves to check it out again. Fun to watch.

It shows when you're fishing that the moving baits catch the smaller fish, but in this case, at this mark, the only fish present were small so constantly moving baits caught all of the fish.

Anyway, a nice hour in the sun. :-D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Great report Ben and well done, you are setting the pace in your area of Cornwall !

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Great fun Ben....It's just learning that one twitch that makes them bite...

When you learn that secret be sure to let us know...

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great report Ben and well done, you are setting the pace in your area of Cornwall !
Cheers mate. Does help me being the only one around! Lol

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I am not sure about the theory that bigger fish do not take moving baits. Certainly from the boat, all SPs are moving and take some great fish. I have also had some good ones from the shore on moving SPs but maybe the choice of lure is important?

The other debate is whether the wrasse are trying to eat or kill the SP. The jury is still out on that one - I don't think an SP inside a fish's mouth is evidence that it wants to eat the lure, it could easily end up in there during the fight.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I am not sure about the theory that bigger fish do not take moving baits. Certainly from the boat, all SPs are moving and take some great fish. I have also had some good ones from the shore on moving SPs but maybe the choice of lure is important?

The other debate is whether the wrasse are trying to eat or kill the SP. The jury is still out on that one - I don't think an SP inside a fishes mouth is evidence that it want to eat the lure, it could easily end up in there during the fight.
Very good points Paul.

As for moving v's stopped

I've still caught all my bigger ones on the stop or pause. Again, no hard rules, just guidelines.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts