The Lure Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After a poor start to september it was great to whack the catch rate right up again. I met up with Scottie and Matt for a morning session. The sun was out and the water calm and clear. As soon as we arrived at the waters edge shoals of bass were visible. On with the gold diver and 20 mins later I was in to the first fish.

We continued up the beach Scottie and myself picking up another couple of bass whilst Mat stayed loyal to his surface lures. Then had a better hit and beached this darkly coloured bass of 4lb on the boga.

And a few hundred meters down this hard fighting, lightly coloured 3 lber.

As I got futher down the beach I started to see even more fish and a decent one lept clear of the water. I cast and steadily retrieved the diver and watched as a big bass chased the lure to my feet. I slowed the retrieve slightly to give it time....then smash, grab and run. What a sight in gin clear water and the autmn sun shining bright. Here's the fish at 4.5 lb

Onto the next mark for low tide and I picked up a micro bass. I always find with this mark the fish are always some where different so on my return to the car park I waded a short way out, first cast a 2.5lber, next cast a big hit and probably the best fight lb for lb Ive had from a bass. Resulting in this powefully built fish of 3.5lb.

All in all a great day out and a total of ten bass. Was a pleausre to fish with Scottie and Matt yesterday and plans for a Hampshire plugging group are starting to evolve. Just hoping for a mild and dry autmn!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Excellent!!!! Wish I could report the same, just not happening for me the last couple sessions.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
well done ben great catch and report . matt i know the feeling !

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Great stuff Ben - I must get down there again!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Nice one Ben, that is a nice haul of bass.
Good to see you have found the again in numbers.
And good to see the Branzino is back in business as well.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the kind words. It is very much possible to get a nice haul of fish in the 3 - 4.75 lb region at my marks providing you cover enough gound which makes for some great sport. Had another nice haul in the last week of August with 6 fish between 3 and 4.75 topped by this one:

Breaking the 5lb barrier seems to be the challenge!

Yes Dave Branzino also back in business! But will be the last expensive reel I buy that is not sealed! Hate having to be really conscious about expensive fishing gear when wading etc....

·
Registered
19 Posts
It was a great morning the conditions were almost perfect! It was great to meet up with Ben for an absolute crackin days fishing. Ben was in virtually straight away mint condition fish, and then a few hundred yards up the beach he was in again brilliant I thought we have finally found the fish. Then it was my turn and the fish absolutely smashed my lure brilliant strike and a good scrap into the beach fantastic the duck finally broken. Then as we continue up the beach and Ben is in again and it is the 4lber shown above absolutely perfect fish. Ben let us know when you are next down happily go out again mate it was a excellent day. Cheers, Scottie

·
Registered
932 Posts
Some lovely looking fish there Ben. Great stuff.

As for breaking the 5lb barrier, have you ever tried a big, sinking, swim bait worked slowly after you have found the fish?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Ben, that is a cracking day's fishing. Well done. I'm very envious....

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheers James and Tim!

James I have not tried a big swim bait and will give that a go. I have had a couple of fish over 5lb from this area but catching them on a regular basis is my next challenge! A mild and dry autmn will make it much easier!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Had 131 this season (but who's counting). About 15 on non IMA and about 15 on other IMA then about 100 on IMA Sasuke 120 in either atakin or the charteuse/gold/orange belly. So thats 76% for the IMA sasuke 120.

I would very happily accept a sponsorship deal from IMA. Perhaps a pic with me wearing my IMA hat and T -shirt holding a double figured bass with a Sasuke hanging out the mouth would do it! Lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts