The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Feels like an eternity since I last got out with moving house and spending all my free time plastering, painting and putting up shelves. Packing up and shifting everything sure makes you realise how much angling crap you accumulate!

Anyway, low tide was a couple of hours after dawn so I headed off to the Fylde coast to attack a sandy beach where there's a long fairly deep gully. The theory was that where the gully empties out on the ebb there might be a silver assassin ambushing sandeels and small fish retreating with the tide. Used the usual repertoire of Tide Minnow 125/145s, Feed Shallows, X-120/140 with no joy. Low tide came and I tried a few surface lures, think I may have had a follow and swirl at the Akakin Giant Dog X but I'm not certain.

Wading through the shallow water I could see tiny sandeels and lots of weaver fish so thought I'd try something new. I'd brought a Bassday Range Vibe in Ayu which to me is quite a good weaver immitation so I thought I'd give that a whirl and because it's got a decent bit of weight to it I put a teaser of a 50mm white sandeel about a foot up on a 6inch dropper. Nothing doing after half an hour just bumping it back, twitching and 30-60second pauses then a good rattle and a gentle pull from the other end!!!! Fish?!!! A lovely little 12oz Turbot had snaffled my teaser!

As the tide started to move again I tried the plugs again, positioning myself in the gully this time to retrieve with the flow. Nothing to report apart from leaky waders! So again I tried the metal/teaser combo, this time with a 28g Dexter wedge, again bumping it towards me with long pauses..... 3rd cast and the line arrowed away to my left and I was FINALLY into my second bass of the year! Not a flounder, not a turbot, not even a mullet, a bass! Tiny scrappy little fella about a pound but it meant so much!!!

Moved back to the next gully half an hour later using the same approach and got hit HARD with line coming off the drag but after a couple of shakes of the head it was off. Gutted. The fish were there so again I went back up top, this time with a fairly natural colour Z-Claw (it's not the mullet one but quite similar) and tried what I assume is "deadsticking" cast, leave, leave, leave, then as it passes infront of me just a few subtle nods, more leaving... BIIIIG SPLASH!!!! I may have used the Simon Lewis Angling Dictionary!!! It's a long time since I had a fish off the top, what a buzz!!! Lovely little silver bar about 3 and a half pounds, went like a bullet in the flow!

God it's great to be back!!!!!

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Brilliant report Rob !!!! :clap: Really enjoyed that write-up !! 5 Stars from me :D

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys!

I've only got a camera phone and I'm petrified of dropping it when I'm wading! Do keep meaning to get a proper waterproof camera but I never do! Plus, if I don't take any pics the fish I catch get bigger as time goes by....

Would be great to meet up Darren, I still haven't seen another plugger while I've been out fishing in the North West!

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Rob

I always seem to get problems with my teaser dropper twisting around the trace. Any tips on dropper thickness/length.

I usually use a 6" dropper.

Nigel

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rob

I always seem to get problems with my teaser dropper twisting around the trace. Any tips on dropper thickness/length.

I usually use a 6" dropper.

Nigel
First time I'd ever done it successfully so I'm not really the person to ask! I was using a 15lb Fluoro leader and used a weaker dropper (can't remember whether it's 8 or 10lb!) incase of snags or multiple hook-ups but the big thing is that I wasn't retrieving either lure, it was just raising the rod tip and a couple of winds of the handle to get the lure vibrating/fluttering and kick up some puffs of sand then I was leaving it for quite a while so the sandeel would be fluttering in the waves against the weight of the metal. Hope that makes sense! That first bass took the bumped Dexter not the teaser anyway

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nice one Rob! Good work mate! :p

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
First time I'd ever done it successfully so I'm not really the person to ask! I was using a 15lb Fluoro leader and used a weaker dropper (can't remember whether it's 8 or 10lb!) incase of snags or multiple hook-ups but the big thing is that I wasn't retrieving either lure, it was just raising the rod tip and a couple of winds of the handle to get the lure vibrating/fluttering and kick up some puffs of sand then I was leaving it for quite a while so the sandeel would be fluttering in the waves against the weight of the metal. Hope that makes sense! That first bass took the bumped Dexter not the teaser anyway

Maybe that's what I've been doing wrong. I always use a heavier line for my dropper than the leader.
I have had multi hook ups of mackerel & pollock but not bass. But I have caught bass on the teaser & not on the lure.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well done rob. That's a great catch. Hope to join you again soon. Still looking after my 6 days old baby at moment. Again, well done.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts