Back to back Fluro vs mono | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Back to back Fluro vs mono

Discussion in 'Lines' started by {name}, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Sea Trout

90% of my fishing is for wrasse and I'm thinking of changing my 15lb Amnesia to 18lb Maxima, but will FC be more abrasion resistant? Has anyone done back to back tests?

I don't care what people have read, I'm after real fishing experience. I'm not bothered about supposed underwater visibility, just the real world facts.

Thanks

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Striper

The first thing that goes through my head about maxima is that it is very stretchy, for hauling wrasse those first few seconds make all the difference and even 6" of extra stretch could be the difference between a fish on the rocks and a fish in the rocks.
    I would of thought both are pretty tuff lines as far as AR Goes

3. Pollock Supporting Member

Amnesia being mono,is Mike talking about Maxima fluoro Dave? Fluoro isn't usually stretchy. Maxima Mono is stretchy. That's one of its great strengths..... in some situations, but you're right, not this one!

4. Sea Trout

I meant maxima mono, I didn't know they made FC. My leaders are usually only 2.5ft so a little stretch won't be a problem

5. Pollock

I've compared 15lb ultima power steel, which I believe is a flurocarbon coated nylon with beklay trilene flurocarbon at 15lb. The fluro is thicker for the same lb breaking strain but its definitely a harder line, you can tell this as soon as you bite off a tag end. The power steel preformed fine though I just had to replaced the leader more often because it got scuffed up more often than the fluro, as it much cheaper not a problem. Both knot well, the power steel is a bit more springy but not too bad. On the up side for the same dia as 15lb fluro you could be using 20lb power steel. Only time I've noticed a problem with fluro vs nylon has been in the sub 10lb breaking strain. I've noticed the fluro is much more brittle and liable to snap on you than nylon. For wrasse bashing I'd be happy using 15/20lb power steel, big plus is price, wrassing fcuks up your leaders fast.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Pollock Supporting Member

Arent both monos then? that's what it says on the amnesia spools.........

7. Sea Trout

Yes both are monos, I'd consider going to FC if there's a significant abrasion advantage

8. Sea Trout

I've not had any pigs really damage my leaders, the damage tends to be caused by sharp rocks (baring in mind for the style of luring im doing, im bumping my lure between rocks, so abrasion is the issue)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bass

I would use clear mono or flouro. Both work equally well most days altho sometimes flouro has the edge. Rocks will bugger both up just as quick, so buy what you feel confident in. Generally I instinctively reach for Trilene products in both after many years of trouble free use.

• Like Like x 1