Back to the old school | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Back to the old school

Discussion in 'Metal Lures' started by {name}, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Perch

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  2. Banned

Nice one Matt, I wouldn't even consider using metals around my neck of the woods at this time of year

3. Bass

Smelly yokes

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Pollock Supporting Member

Is that early for Gars? That is two top Pike baits there. Freeze it, and get yourself a Chew ticket!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Perch

Managed to get a bit of the afternoon off and spent it down on the helford. Plenty of mullet mooching up and down, always raises my heartbeat and expectations until I realise they're not bass. Spent most of the time tuning suspending lures with split rings and little strips of lead beaten flat and cut with scissors to twiddle round the hook loops. Idea being that a bait fish often hangs still in the water at the mercy of current rather than bobbing up to the surface and most of our apparently suspending lures don't really suspend when we stop reeling as they should in our water temperature. Have yet to see if the theory works cause I caught bugger all on them, max rap in fg took a bite from a wrass but no hook up. And in desperation made the short journey back to my exit point flicking out a cheap Toby and made a connection with a nice 20" needlefish, first fish of the year for me.

6. Perch

Thanks Shaun, maybe its a bit warmer down this way?, was thinking I needed to be using smaller lures as the bait would be small? Caught well last year with a 7cm cd rapala but could never get it out far enough

• Like Like x 1
  7. Sea Trout

Nice one mat, was a lovely afternoon. Wish i had been fishing!

8. Perch

Thanks Stuart, we'll get out for a spin session after Easter, maybe a dawn raid south of here!