The Lure Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
just got back from a 10 hour pike plugging sesh, i started off at 9.30 this morning and when i got to the mark it looked quite inviting,

so i set up 2 rods, one with SP's (shads, sluggos, jelly worms, etc) and one with hard lures, (all the usual culprits and a few more besides) i then went about thrashing the water to a foam in search of a croc or two,

but no matter what i tried, nothing got the crocs attention, so i made a circuit of the freshwater dock, a couple of lads who arrived about the same time as me were catching live bait (roach, rudd, and perch) and throwing them out under Fox Predator floats, and they had a small jack not long after they got there,,

so knowing that there are fish in the wharf i decided to do a bumbling circuit, and when got back, i was just in time to see the lads landing a nice little Jack pike into their net,

the water where they were fishing was now alive with small fish jumping out of the water, so i put on a small X-rap and threw it amongst the shoals of small fish,

still nada, zilch, fekk all, then one of the lads was in again but as he tried to bully the pike to the shore, it came off, i could see it boiling in the water about 15 yards away so i told the boy to cast his bait straight back in,. and BINGO it was on again, this time he took it easy and and landed this little beaut...( I had to get my large carp net to the ready cos there was no way they'd be able to land this fish in their net :D)

It weighed in at a very respectable 11.5 lb, (their biggest of the day) and just to make me feel even worse, they told me it was their 17th pike of the day :eek: so, feeling totally [email protected], downtrodden, and defeated, i decided to call it a day..

(Oh yeah, and just to make me feel even more demoralised, a guy turned up with a cheap toby type lure and fluked a jack of about 6lb, i didn't know whether to congratulate him of drown the barsteward.... :evil: )

Now excuse me while i go and shoot myself.... :( :( :(

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Marc,

Cracking report, long time to be there without a fish ! You need to start carrying a sharp stick to poke people in the eyes, I find this helps !!!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the crocs were concentrating on all the bait fish Steve,, and i can't for the life of me figure out how that fella got one on a fekkin toby,, (i'd tried using those earlier in the day, but all i managed to hook was about 5lb of weed) just one of them days me thinks,,

Nevermind, i refuse to be beaten by a fish, and shall probably go down again next week.. :D:D:D

·
Registered
540 Posts
Marc that is very very unlucky!!!!! but all credit to you for putting the hours in. I can`t believe you did not get into them, you said those guys had 17!!!!!! that is a serious feeding frenzy and usually when there in that mood they will take anything that passes them!!! Don`t mean to dis-hearten you!!! (Especially when they lost a fish after being hooked to re-hook it again next cast!!!!)

I feel a bumble comming on..........

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Marc, if it holds that number of fish then you will catch on another day for sure. I agree with Iestyn - BUMBLE!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Marc that is very very unlucky!!!!! you said those guys had 17!!!!!! that is a serious feeding frenzy and usually when there in that mood they will take anything that passes them!!! Don`t mean to dis-hearten you!!! (Especially when they lost a fish after being hooked to re-hook it again next cast!!!!)

I feel a bumble comming on..........
Hello Iestyn / Tim,

I did everything i could possibly think of guys, but the pike just weren't interested in non live baits, you've got to consider that the lads had 4 rods out with a live bait on each and they had been there for as long as i had,

so it wasn't as if the pike were just grabbing anything that moved, as there were quite a few (9) dead fish floating on the surface which were left totally untouched,

i was counting on them being picked off the surface so i could use a popper to try and hook one, maybe i should have stayed until it got dark, but i put my time in and was totally shattered.. and like i said...

"I SHALL NOT BE DEFEATED" :twisted: :D :twisted:

and a BUMBLE sounds a blast.. :D :D :D

·
Registered
843 Posts
Unlucky Marc, when I posted the link to this water I did so after speaking to a person who fishes there for carp. He says that a 25lb pike was caught over the winter.

Its a 2 minute walk from my works and will pop over each day next week to see how its fishing.

At least you know there are fish there.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unlucky Marc, when I posted the link to this water I did so after speaking to a person who fishes there for carp. He says that a 25lb pike was caught over the winter.

Its a 2 minute walk from my works and will pop over each day next week to see how its fishing.

At least you know there are fish there.
LOL, Tom (who runs it) thought i was you yesterday, cos he said how was the journey down from Swansea??? Then i figured you'd probably been in touch..:D

·
Registered
843 Posts
LOL, Tom (who runs it) thought i was you yesterday, cos he said how was the journey down from Swansea??? Then i figured you'd probably been in touch..:D
I bet that was confusing! lol I will speak to Andrew in work with me to get some info on the best pike spots. If we do have a bumble we could have a beer in the hotel after catching some pikeys

·
Registered
779 Posts
Ha finally got that net n mat did you - no stopping us now Marc

·
Registered
779 Posts
Of course you're welcome to join us Paul,

You know that my Brumraeg brother, :D.. all i've got to do is find a lure that turns the bloody pike on...:p think i may have to take a leaf out of Mr Lewis's book and get an anthrax lure..
go on get the fly rod out...;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.