The Lure Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is anyone using any of these for lure or soft plastic fishing??

I'm interested in what size line (mono or braid) you are using on them & how they compare to fixed spool.

I use multipliers for bait fishing & would prefer to use them for all my fishing, but the practicalities of chucking any lure under 40 grammes or so are always fraught with the great possibility of an over run.

Anyone managed to tame the dreaded birds nest with light lures & still be able to cast a reasonable distance????

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I do use baitcasting reels very successfully for lures as light as 5 grams or less in freshwater and I have no objection using them in the salt either. In fact, the fish in my avatar picture was caught on a Feed Shallow using a custom built 8.9 feet baitcasting rod fitted with an Abu Revo Inshore reel.

The Abu Revo Inshore or the Daiwa Zillion Coastal is your best bet in reels.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DAIWA-ZILLION...tingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item45f0b44cb0

Reactions: brendan

·
Registered
268 Posts
Funny you should mention this Nigel. I bought myself a couple of extra rods this autumn one was a baitcaster, which then meant I "HAD" to have a new reel. Well, the Abu Revo Inshore arrived and I was completely gobsmacked at how tiny the things is. I have Penn 20lb braid on it at the mo. I am hoping that a certain dealer will still have the 300m of 30lb, Diawa 8 strand for 35 quid, when I get this month outta the way.

So far, I can tell you that it seems to cast SP's better with on a lighter rod than the one I have, but cast them well, it does! That said, it casts them much easier / happier with mono (Sufix Xcelon 12lb from my carping days) than what it does the Penn braid thats on it at the mo. But even then, it works better still with a lighter rod than the one I have as its 50-150g (1.75 - 5.5 ounces). On a more suitable rod, then I would imagine it'd have no trouble at all with sp's. I must admitt, its very tempting to completely re-ring my AFAW 8ft to multiplier use as I erckon this would belt the sp's out really well with a multiplier.
With a multiplier tho, I dont think you will ever cast a soft plastic (unless suitably weighted, of course) as far as you will with a fixed spool. Especially if its "braked", as opposed to properly controlled by the caster. magentic brakes will slow down the cast dramatically. Centrifugal brakes will slow the initial burst of speed when you cast. Yet without these little gadgerts, casting becomes more of a chore with very lightweight lures.
A fixed spool doesnt need to worry about over runs and as such, it can let the lure fly as fast as it wants at the start of the cast and when it hits the point where its all but falling out of the air and only going downwards, doesnt affect the fixed spool either. Watch the "pro's" on YouTube. You will see that when using multipliers, they dont really manage to cast all that far. Mind you, most of them are in boats with trolling engines etc and can basically drive to near enough where they want to be. So dont have to cast far.

Only way to really see what you can do is to go out and give it a try Nigel. I would add tho mate, if you're still getting birdsnests with mono and a 3 to 5 ounce lead, then dont give yourself the headache and heartache of filling a multiplier with braid and go flicking tiny little (weight of them) lures. You will end up filling the swear box and getting well stressed out, lol.

Final thought......
Once Norway is over n done with and I am back to fishing local waters then I will most likely remove the 30lb braid and go onto either 8lb or 12lb mono as this is what MY reel and I seem to be most comfy with. Dont like braid for uptiding or any of my fishing other than lures or very deep water work, to be honest.

a quick PS here
I paid just under the £100 for my Abu, but it did mean a lot of late nites waiting for auctions to end and praying no one else had bid yet. Even then its come from the USA - 3 days to get here!!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Interesting post m8.

As has been learned 'again' this last few sessions...
Distance can be your worse enemy. As in, casting too far.

I've used multipliers HRF and use a Cormoran TR5 with an abu2500 as of now.
However, I'm going to re-gear the rod with a higher speed reel for reasons I mentioned on my blog regards the rockfish.

There is just something 'nice' about multiplier fishing and they offer a control a fixed spool cannot sometimes.
Distance isn't everything.

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys thanks

Vidar

What line are you using on your multiplier??

Andy

No I'm not suffering over runs when bait fishing but my excursion in the past into baitcasting style reels has been good for the first half a dozen casts, then when I get a bit cocky I get a birdie. However on my bait fishing multipliers (6500 size) I use 50lb Powerpro & I only use the braid on the short chucking bass rod, for distance casting I stick to mono. So I was just pondering giving the baitcasting reels that I have a go again. I have various Shimano & Abu small Calcutta & 4600 sized reels, & as Keith says they offer more control & feel nicer to use than a fixed spool.
So although distance isn't the be all & end all it is a handy tool sometimes & chucking light lures on a baitcasting rod with a multiplier still fills me with a bit of dread.

Keith

What line are you using & how are you controlling the reel speed or aren't you??

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Interesting post m8.

As has been learned 'again' this last few sessions...
Distance can be your worse enemy. As in, casting too far.

I've used multipliers HRF and use a Cormoran TR5 with an abu2500 as of now.
However, I'm going to re-gear the rod with a higher speed reel for reasons I mentioned on my blog regards the rockfish.

There is just something 'nice' about multiplier fishing and they offer a control a fixed spool cannot sometimes.
Distance isn't everything.
Well said indeed :clap::clap:

Much of the Japanese HRF are done with baitcasting outfits.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Guys thanks

Vidar

What line are you using on your multiplier??

Andy

No I'm not suffering over runs when bait fishing but my excursion in the past into baitcasting style reels has been good for the first half a dozen casts, then when I get a bit cocky I get a birdie. However on my bait fishing multipliers (6500 size) I use 50lb Powerpro & I only use the braid on the short chucking bass rod, for distance casting I stick to mono. So I was just pondering giving the baitcasting reels that I have a go again. I have various Shimano & Abu small Calcutta & 4600 sized reels, & as Keith says they offer more control & feel nicer to use than a fixed spool.
So although distance isn't the be all & end all it is a handy tool sometimes & chucking light lures on a baitcasting rod with a multiplier still fills me with a bit of dread.

Keith

What line are you using & how are you controlling the reel speed or aren't you??

I use 20Ib Power Pro on my Revo Inshore and it works great.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I have PP on my 2500.
I use centrifugal braking in this reel with heavy oil in the bearings.

I am very used to multipliers though with and without level winds.
Old level wind systems are a braking system in their own right as they don't disengage.
In fact, some new ones don't either so it's a feature to check out.

I think there is an actual Daiwa HRF reel if I recall.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Nigel - I have a Shimano Core on my Injection Baitcaster. I am experimenting with line. Currently using 10lb 4 strand braid, have some 20lbs Daiwa 8 strand and 8 lb Seaguar Abraz X to come.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I have a few baitcasting reels but haven't had so much time to use them this year. If you understand the limitations then they are great. Fixed spools are easier to use, no doubt about that but baitcasters to many people just feel better. With the arrival of braid the gears in the reels are becoming bigger and stronger but the spool size often becoming smaller. There really is no need for a large spool for most lure work so that doesn't present any problems.
I bought a Daiwa Ziliion 100SHA in the summer for SP use and filled it with 10lb Bass Pro Flourocarbon. A bit of an experiment and seems ok so far. On other reels I have 20lb and 30lb PP. Decent rods are few and far between in UK retailers but there are ways and means. PLAT are doing some bargains on reels if you can't find what you want in the UK.

·
Registered
92 Posts
baitcasting rods & reels

Hi Nigel-I only use a custom built 6ft rod one piece & an ABU Revo inshore reel loaded with 10lb power pro braid & 10lb flurocarbon leader.A combination which allows a cast of over30yds with a 3.5leadhead on S/P.Distance is not everything when you fish shallow water on rocky coasts.with practice birdnests are a thing of the past when you have a good thumb to control the spool.Hope that helps.Cheers-Jeff

·
Registered
172 Posts
Has anyone used, seen or have any views on the Daiwa Ryoga? Used to use a Millionaire CV-Z 203LA until I sold it - looking for a more corrosion resistant replacement.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
They use the Ryogas in the Daiwa HRF dvd. It looks very over built for bassing but would suit SP work for wrasse looking at what they use it for. They also make a bay jigging version of the same reel which gets a proper workout in some of their other dvds. They are quite heavy if you are looking to put it on a light baitcaster.
I have a couple of CVZs and a CVX and had no problems with corrosion with any of them.

·
Registered
172 Posts
True - a bit on the heavy side but I was thinking of an all-round travel reel rather than as an exclusive UK bass reel. I really liked the CV-Z and was tempted by the SW version a while back. I used mine as my main bass reel for about 8 years - never had a problem with it but it did start to suffer from salt intrusion into the cage under the reel seat, the level wind screw and I don't think all the bearings were CRBB. I didn't sell it because it had major problems, but because it was still good enough to sell and had a value. The main reason was because I fish almost entirely from the shore and switched to longer rods and fixed spool reel technology caught up with braided lines.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I think if I was going places where I could do it justice a Ryoga would be top of my list. They look indestructible. If they aren't then fair dos to any fish that can give it a good workout.
I used to use small Abus and longer rods for my bassing but fixed spool technology moved on a huge amount over the last few years. But then I suppose so has baitcaster technology. Weight transfer plugs cast miles further than the old school Rapalas and Yozuris I used to use and SPs tend to be used at closer range. That is why I have revived my interest. The longer rods/fixed spool/braid won't get overlooked when the need is there. I am looking for the best of both!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts