The Lure Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
iv been toying with the idea of using shimano baitrunners for drifting down current, have been backwinding now and again but was thinking b'runner set loose has poss might work, and shimano now doing the xt's in 2500 size, got a few bigger ones i could try 1st but wondered if anyone else has tried it or any thoughts?,

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I have used baitrunners for 25 years for Pike (mono line) and the problem with them is line twist from the baitrunner.
I havn't tried it but I could imagine all sorts of problems with braid and a free running spool.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
did use one years ago when they 1st came out trotting for chub and the xt's offer nil resistance when set right, i'l give it ago on my 6000(that'l be strange on the dropshot!!!) and will post, worth a shot and im looking for a new reel shortly, baitrunners not that light tho think the 2500 xt weighs bout 300g

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Should be fine - used Shimano Baitrunners for years with braid ... main issue would be saltwater as they are fairly intricate and desiged for FW!

Can pick up alot of current gen BT's from eBay - alot of carp fishermen in the UK who always upgrade to the latest greatest ;)

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
did use one years ago when they 1st came out trotting for chub and the xt's offer nil resistance when set right, i'l give it ago on my 6000(that'l be strange on the dropshot!!!) and will post, worth a shot and im looking for a new reel shortly, baitrunners not that light tho think the 2500 xt weighs bout 300g
One of the little Abu baitrunners might be what you want Carl. I have a 103(?) which go nicely on the Dropshot.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I use baitrunners a lot while live-baiting and have tried them in current with plugs. However, I found it more effective to dis-engage the anti-reverse of any of my fixed spool reels and leave the plugs take line themselves while working the current. Presume it would work the same for SP's and reckon it should be same for working current from the shore.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cheers evryone comments gave me a few ideas, more i think about it, the better it sounds,the smoothness of the b'runner let out line must look more natural than backwinding, i'l give it a go and see what happens

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
A little baitcaster multi might be best for that?? might have to consider one myself as I do that sort of thing a lot and ptreey easy to tighten you thumb and strike faster while still in freespool and engage the reel as soon as after that.

not sure my pair of 525 Mags will do the trick, and the Abu 65's are just not good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts