The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am new to lure fishing being a bait angler for 30 odd years , and have seen some strange things in my time but a barbel on a soft plastic lure is as weird as it gets .
So my new sport is lure angling and after some joy on a local lake i thought that it was time to show my farther how good it is we fished the river Wye for pike i had 1 around 15lb and then a pb of 23lb(the one in my avatar)
whilst dad had nothing.
He had given up hope when his rod sprang round and braid shot from the reel this fish stripped 30 yards of line on its first run. the way it went i thought it must be a huge pike.
when i netted it i dont know who was most shocked me or the fish.

SAM_0321.JPG SAM_0323.JPG SAM_0333.JPG SAM_0326.JPG SAM_0334.JPG

oh yes and to top it off he also had this 30lb+ beast and i had one of 19lb

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
Barble are commonly caught on lures in Eastern European countries, it is not unusual. Well done on the catches.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Big barbell have been taken on deadbaits,in fact I used to know someone that had seen this happen.
So having them hit lures is no surprise on the right day in the right spot.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Very nice fish! They catch them on lures in Spain apparently. Likely not the same species of barbel though.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I think it's brilliant and i'd love to get a Barbel on the lure.
Using the flowing techniques we have now I'd bet it could be done with regular frequency.

So pleased you posted this thread. Great stuff.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Letting a Senko tumble through the current on most rivers would be deadly for Chub,Perch and I'l bet the Barbel would like it too.
In my younger days I used to tumble slugs through the current on size 1 and 2 Jack Hilton hooks.
Ahh those were the days,,,,,,,,,didn't have Senkos on those days and my rod of choice was a cut down and re handled Hardy glass number 4 fly rod that I was given by a school friends dad.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Thanks a million for this post. I hadn't even thought of barbel (never caught one) but they are now on the list.

·
Registered
779 Posts
They are incredible Paul. Super fighters.
Indeed - fantastic fighters!

Spinning for Barbel is apparently common(ish) over here - works well in weirs Im told (was suprised to hear they go for a spinner but not unusual Im told)

·
Registered
129 Posts
There was a great article on Lure fishing for barble written in the last LAS magazine for those of you that are members. It was written by a polish chap, who sounded like he knew his stuff. If you want more info I would send Aurthur at www.lure-world.co.uk an email, he provided the translation and I believe he knows a thing or two on lure fishing for them.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
upper severn, trent or wye ?

severn has Z's and the Wye has big Pike too.

Trent has big chub.

loads of options and if we timed it right, the Wye could throw Grayling and Sewin too.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
If you fancy a trip I am up for it. Not a river person whatsoever. Very happy around or in the sea, but FW is all new to me. Would love to have a go at those fish though, and chub, and perch.......

·
Registered
769 Posts
Some of the biggest Barbel recorded in years gone by were taken on devon minows etc fished by Salmon fishermen on the Hamshire Avon on beats the coarse anglers could not get onto. Its said they are more aggressive feeders on fry in the late spring and early summer (unfortunately the close season). You dont however hear of many getting caught on small live baits or deadbaits, but most dont fish them small enough or in the right zone for barbel. In the past I've had barbel on big nymphs fished on the bottom in fast shallow water in April and early May when fishing for brown trout. I am confident a slowly rolled SP's over gravel in high summer low water conditions (e.g. at the tail of a weir) would have good chance of working, and would get you a load of chub even if the barbel didnt fall for it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts