The Lure Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In replacing my hooks, I figure it would be sensible to replace with true barbless.

Does anyone use proper barbless trebles rather than crushing barbs? What brand etc? How have you found them? Are they more pricey?

Just seems to make sense!!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Always just crushed the barbs mate. The bump thats left helps with the hook hold. Tried true barbless quite a few years ago now. Very easy to bump the fish off so gave up with them after a few months. Hope thats of some help!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
In replacing my hooks, I figure it would be sensible to replace with true barbless.

Does anyone use proper barbless trebles rather than crushing barbs? What brand etc? How have you found them? Are they more pricey?

Just seems to make sense!!
No, but...I would.
I ought to in fact, no excuses really other than being lazy.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Decoy singles? - less damage than a treble - **** has some

I picked up a load in Nantes and seem to do a good job!
I would, happily in fact, use singles.
It takes a bit of work to re-tune and sometimes re-track the lure but singles certainly have the better C&R potential.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Pretty sure that **** has got some Barbless Trebles in. I also saw them on Samurai i think.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I use both true barbless (owners) and crushed barb (VMC).

Sometimes both on the same lure.

I've used singles on slider/poppers and minnows and had problems hooking up.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Not had any issues so far with the singles - Ireland will be a better proving ground ... out there in a few weeks so will let you know how I get on - I have slightly upscaled the hooks to minimize weight difference and maximize hooking potential ...
I'd be VERY interested in your findings Alex.
Don't forget, could be an important trial.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I almost exclusively use singles on my tropical poppers now - got shown a few good tricks where the hook is attached to the popper via kevlar cord and virtually eliminates t-boning across the jaw ... also good for catching marlin on them too by all accounts!

I am hoping that the singles will improve hookhold and reduce the head thrashing hook release ...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts