The Lure Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well gents, i just got back from the BASS AGM. It was an excellent day, and frankly i learned loads !!! Guest speakers were Henry Gilbey, and Jim Hendrick, and they both gave very interesting talks (not just saying that because they are on here ;) ).

One of the highlights for me was the session that updated us on the work of the BASS Restoration Team. Frankly the work that these guys are doing to try and preserve and indeed improve the quality of fishing that we have access to, is inspirational !!!

The politics that they have to battle, and the fight that they have to take to the commercial ranks, is a pretty thankless task, but they do it with vigour & passion. The BASS Society is also working very hard to improve it's credibility by collating hard data, which is being provided by the membership, with a further push planned.

Do yourselves a favour lads, whatever your impression may be of the society - just join. Your membership fee (which is less than you'll pay for a plug) will be very well spent, and you will be contributing to the war-chest that these guys have available to them to take 'our' fight to parliment, and to foreign shores.

If you truly care about the future of our sport, it's a no-brainer.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
On a lighter note, there was a superb raffle with a Teklon Rod, a Lucky Craft Rod, loads of lures, beer, fly's, etc . . .etc . . . . . & i have to give a special mention to Henry Gilbey for giving Luke his winning raffle ticket, with which Luke picked a bundle of s/p's that included Spindle Worms & Hazedongs - a very very kind & generous gesture (which Luke has jabbered about all of the way home).

There was a tackle stall there (Veals) which was full of shiny things (which i somehow resisted), and the award ceremony was absolutley frightening - some of those guys have caught some very very serious fish this past year !!! Bloody nora !!!

I also got to talk with some local anglers who shared some invaluable tips on baits / locations & tactics - absolutely priceless.

Oh, and Clive Gammon was there - now there's another proper legend !!

I thoroughly enjoyed meeting some of the guys from BASS (didnt manage to get around everyone - but then the room was full), quite a few of which are now on here, which is great news, and very good for the future of our forum to have their knowledge & experience to share.

All in all guys, hopefully you can tell . . . . . . . i enjoyed.

Roger Roger, over & out.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Nice report Simon and do agree they do a great job, I sent off my membership forms last week for Adam and myself, will now be able to fish Shell Island as a member.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Si, sounds like a very good use of the day. Where was it?

·
Registered
174 Posts
The A.G.M. was a great day to meet like minded anglers, Henry's talk on fishing photography was as I imagined it would be, both informative and full of passion, by the way Simon your little lad sat next to me during Henry's presentation and was a credit to you.
The restoration project was mind blowing, the amount of obstacles and red tape these guy's have to overcome to protect what is our true sport fish is ridiculous to say the least, they need all the support they can get.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Nice report Simon and do agree they do a great job, I sent off my membership forms last week for Adam and myself, will now be able to fish Shell Island as a member.
Sent the application on Friday and had an Email back today, Member 4093 !

·
Registered
629 Posts
Hi to all,
Hope you don't mind my first post going onto this thread, I've only just joined this forum but I've been a BASS member for three years and am still buzzing from another super Sunday AGM!
I'm more than happy to echo the comments above. I can honestly say the BASS AGM's are informative and very enjoyable.
I've found I always come away from them having learnt loads, and most of it really interesting stuff too. Over the last three years, for example, there has been a talk on live baiting for Bass from Mike Ladle, then there was Henry's super enthusiastic photography talk and photo tips this year, from Chris Yates it was a talk about Bass fishing getting into your blood, and there was also a super talk on Bass fishing from, beach launched, small dinghies, and so on.
At this, 2010 AGM, one thing I found particularly interesting was matching faces to some of the BASS forum posters.
There are also the unsung heroes from the BASS restoration project, they truly amaze me with what they have achieved and how tirelessly they work, Awesome!
And finally the joining fee is less than the cost of a Feed Shallow too....
Nick

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I'm not a BASS member yet, but out of curiosity what would you say the ratio of bait vs lure anglers is within BASS?

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Hi to all,
Hope you don't mind my first post going onto this thread, I've only just joined this forum but I've been a BASS member for three years and am still buzzing from another super Sunday AGM!
I'm more than happy to echo the comments above. I can honestly say the BASS AGM's are informative and very enjoyable.
I've found I always come away from them having learnt loads, and most of it really interesting stuff too. Over the last three years, for example, there has been a talk on live baiting for Bass from Mike Ladle, then there was Henry's super enthusiastic photography talk and photo tips this year, from Chris Yates it was a talk about Bass fishing getting into your blood, and there was also a super talk on Bass fishing from, beach launched, small dinghies, and so on.
At this, 2010 AGM, one thing I found particularly interesting was matching faces to some of the BASS forum posters.
There are also the unsung heroes from the BASS restoration project, they truly amaze me with what they have achieved and how tirelessly they work, Awesome!
And finally the joining fee is less than the cost of a Feed Shallow too....
Nick
Hi Nick,

Welcome to the forum and hope you enjoy it as much as you do being a member of BASS.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.