The Lure Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this came from another thread and i just some opinions please.the bass ban is from 15th may-15th june.i asked a local baliff last year if im fishing for sea trout during the ban and i catch a bass whats the story.his answer was you release the bass and theres no problem.what do most people do dont fish for the 4 weeks or fish away and release any bass they catch.or is it frowned upon to fish during the ban?opinions please.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
I'll be over there during the ban, and would be mortified not to be able to fish - perfectly happy to target Sea Trout instead of Bass.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Pat, i've tracked down the particular Bye-Law that covers this topic . . . .

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2007/en/si/0368.html

The crux of it is as follows . . . .

It is hereby prohibited to fish or attempt to fish for bass with any rod, line or weir during the period commencing on 15 May to 15 June each and every year.
So, i would say it's a no-no, albeit if one is genuinely caught whilst targetting Sea Trout, then it should just be returned unharmed.

·
Registered
540 Posts
this is a very "hot" topic and not just with bass!!! personally I am happy to follow set rules/bans etc on the basis that it is helping fish conservation. Although Im sure that everyone on this forum would treat any fish caught in or out of season with the utmost care regardless. I am involved in fishing out of season for salmon which are used for egg stripping and rearing at the hatchery, the paperwork involved is ridiculous and the EA are present overseeing the whole process, all fish are returned with minimal distress, handling etc so its on this basis (conservation) that when done correctly can only benefit the fish and their future. as much as i hate bans/closed seasons etc, the anticipation and excitement of "opening day" is immense!!! so as always its a case of swings and roundabouts!!!

·
Registered
949 Posts
I got my dates wrong for a short early season trip about 15 years ago and they overlapped with the close season. I still fished, but I released all the bass I caught (nowt new there).
Someone (a well known local angler at the time) said it would be OK to carry on and fish, but he knew I wasn't fishing for the table.
Not making excuses, I dont think we should have fished for thebass, and especially these days I think its hardly in the spirit of things deliberately targetting bass during this period whether or not they are in the process of spawning or not.
Hope everyone is writing their letters to the ministers by the way...it doesnt take long.:wink:

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
I could always ask the misses if she could get her niece to change the date of her Confirmation !!! ;)

·
Registered
949 Posts
I really think you should put your foot down Simon and DEMAND it!:???: :-D:-D

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
I really think you should put your foot down Simon and DEMAND it!:???: :-D:-D
Yep, you are right Ian - after all, it's not like religious issues are particularly contentious in Ireland anyway !!!!

I'll get right on it !!!

p.s. if i'm not back on line for a while - check the local hospitals ;)

·
Registered
949 Posts
Good Man.
Its time to draw a line in the sand and all that.
You know its for the best.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Just mentioned to the misses about getting her Neice's confirmation date moved (genuinely did). Got a very long-winded sarcastic answer about how she would phone the school in Waterford, and ask if the whole of the 6th standard could get their confirmation date changed, and if they could change all of the school guidelines & proceedures, just so that it could fit in with the dates of the Bass ban . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

So there's hope . . . . . . :D

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
hahahah - bet that went down like a lead balloon!

back on topic I shifted my Ireland hols to July to dodge the ban - if you are genuinely targetting sea trout (lighter lines and lures) then I guess its OK ... or targetting wrasse with SP's in deep water although essentially a very similar approach to bass fishing?

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
simon ill have a chat with the bishop he owes me a few favours i used to be his favourite alterboy.:muttley:

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I usually go chasing Hounds for the 4 weeks, great craic, it helps fo fill the void.

This year I am going to give the Mullet a lash during the ban, cant wait the harbours are stuffed with them :)

And as was mentioned earlier, sea trout can be targeted too if you have a license.

Theres plenty to tie you over during the ban.

Danny.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have never understood why more UK mullet anglers are not heading over to Ireland for the mullet fishing - so many fish around, some proper monsters, and I have yet to see anybody targeting them..........Alderney has been the "mullet mecca" for years, and when it fires it can be fantastic, but Ireland has such huge mullet potential.

One day...............too much to do, too little time. Bass on the brain.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts