The Lure Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got up at 5am to find the south west wind that was forecast still hadn't arrived . Was a bit disappointed but still decided to give it a go as i was up .
Fishing 2 hours down from high in calm clear water , moon was behind cloud thankfully , bit of phosphourescent in water.

Landed and released 7 bass, lost about as many . 2.5-4lb , nothing special but a nice start to the day and this set of tides . The wind is apparently still coming so hopefully that will bring the decent fish in............

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks lads , forgot to say they were caught on white feed shallow retrieved so slowly it was barely dipping down from the surface , explosive takes but lots of missed fish .
Great site by the way , only discovered it recently . Enjoying the info on LRF but still can't get my head around using 10lb or less ! braid on the rocks ..............I've had a really bad season in that I've lost 3bass and 2 pollack with the lures in them , more than any other season i can remember and that was using 20lb braid and when i got upset about that changed to new 14lb mono (thinking better abrasion resistance)and fourth cast nice bass took skitter pop touched rock bass and lure gone , the rod had barely even started to bend/register the fish and it happened so quickly in a second right infront of me . I nearly lost the plot!! Don't know whether I'm just having an unusual season , it's not lack of experience as have been been lure fishing solely for bass for over 25 years............I'm back on the 30lb powerpro at the moment which has curtailed my sp fishing but its not leaving lures in fish to have a slow lingering death.
What are you guys using? Do you really go fishing for Irish pollack using 10lb braid !? Thoughts , opinions well recieved because this one has been doing my head in...............

·
Registered
163 Posts
Interesting one Danny!
I struggled with braid choice for a long time. My fishing is done from the boat. Fishing earlier this year with some French guys I decided “light” braid was the way to go, especially for soft work. I tried 10lb braid but was not impressed, especially when pulling out of snags.

While investigating I came across “Strikewire Extreme” by Strikepro – Basically a “superbraid”. I have been using it for a few months now and it is superb stuff (http://www.strikewire.eu/ ).
I am using 9kg and it has a diameter of 0.13mm – consider the braid I was using is 0.16mm for 10lb.

I sometimes use a flouro leader, now when the leader breaks I tend to just keep on fishing until I have time to tie a new one.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Danny
I have been using 8lb Braid with SPs in the estuaries with a Teklon 702 and a 2500 Rarenium. The Bass give a great account of themselves on this gear and its highy addictive fishing. The estuary is snag free which helps. Fish the same outfit over a rocky area and you are dealing with a different kettle of fish. Braid is rubbish when it comes to abrasion resistance. I have found using a decent size flurocarbon leader a great help.
regards
Bob

·
Registered
116 Posts
Danny

I've been trying out different braids over the last while and when it came down to it I ended up using PowerPro 20 lb with a 2ft fluro leader 20lb although there are times I use a mono leader 20 lb as well.

T

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks lads for the braid info i will try the stuff recommended by Jim , it looks just the job . The Guinness Cork Jazz Festival has been curtailing my fishing time but i did manage to get out saurday morning for a few chucks and as expected the bit of weather had brought in the bigger fish here's a couple of shots of the biggest which weighed in at 7lb 4ozs . It was one of those fish that didn't put up a great scrap , i hope she does better next time i catch her.

Out again soon but the forecast is looking a bit iffy , i won't know till i try though..........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts