The Lure Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Just in case anyone is interested, BASS hold their 1st fish-in of the year this weekend at Shell Island which is just North of Barmouth in West Wales. Its an annual event there the same weekend every year, is not restricted to just BASS members, and is earning a reputation for being a scream, with a fair bit of fishing eating and drinking thrown in for good measure.

So, if anyone is at a loose end over the weekend it is well worth making the effort to get across anytime from Thur til Tues, (tho the main contingent are obviously there Fri - Mon)

There are plenty of BASS members who are also members of this forum who will be there, and the atmosphere is always very friendly and laid-back.

Details of Shell Island can be found at www.shellisland.co.uk
BASS look forward to meeting as many TLF members as you can shake a red rod at! :wink:

Thanks,
Ian

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Have a good one Ian! looks a great place! Hopefully a few will join in.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Ben...

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
I will be making my annual pilgrimage from the Isle of Man on Friday with another BASS member. As Ian says, a good time is had by all & the weather forecast is a good one.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
My Brother was at shell island wednesday too saturday last week.
He took his Kayak and plugging gear, no luck but he said the water clarity was off the scale. He could see the sea bed in 30ft of water easily. He saw a few small shoals of sandeel too.
Like you say Daz it's really getting there temp wise wont be long now.
Thie extra week may have made all the differance Ian.
I'd love too come but this work lark is really getting in the way, cosidering early retirment at 28.
Good luck Ian and too any others who make the trip.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, sounds promising doesnt it. Might even take a rod along this year!

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
27 anglers attended but no bass caught on lures all weekend.
Not sure how many on bait, but it was a couple of dozen I guess, mainly small but a handfull of 4-5lb'ers.
Not everyone fished and due to the water only being clear for a few periods, not much lure fishing got done.
The inconsistency in the bait results tells me the bass aren't fully in there yet, however the social side of the gathering was A1 as usual.
Roll on next year I say. :)

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Great news that everyone had a good time Ian, I wished it would have been a couple of weeks after the West Wales bumble and would have then stood a chance of getting there, the wife would not have let me go and stay away 2 weekends on the trot ! Maybe next year ?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Steve,
I know how hard it is to get away even for local dawn sessions on consecutive weekends and thats even when I promise to be back for 9am!
I think you'd be wise to pencil it in for next year - its always on the 1st bankhol in May, if you read Leigh Davies' post on the BASS forum, you will get an idea of the impression attending his first one has left on him. As always Leigh puts it into words very very well.
Cheers for now,
Ian

1 - 11 of 11 Posts