The Lure Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am based in Bristol and started bass fishing with lures in May. I mainly fish in North Devon as I have family there but no longer want to limit my fishing to when i am visiting them. My question is therefore, where is the closest water that is worth fishing for bass to Bristol?
Any suggestions at all would be great
Rob

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Hi Rob

I live in Bristol too and mostly fish for bass in Dorset.

There are undoubtedly bass in the Bristol Channel up around the bridges and above, but I cannot imagine that anyone who is still sane has fished lures in the soup that is the Severn. Some big fish have turned up to bait anglers, but the visibilty (or lack of it) is the problem.

Then again, maybe someone who is mad enough to try would be the first to suss it out.

Brean is a good area, but again, the vis is sh1te.
Same with the Parret estuary

Hinkley may be a venue worth a recce

Porlock / Bossington another area that turns up good bass in the right conditions.

I would be looking at N. Devon / N Somerset border before I was really confident and that's where you came in.

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Rob

I live in Bristol too and mostly fish for bass in Dorset.

There are undoubtedly bass in the Bristol Channel up around the bridges and above, but I cannot imagine that anyone who is still sane has fished lures in the soup that is the Severn. Some big fish have turned up to bait anglers, but the visibilty (or lack of it) is the problem.

Then again, maybe someone who is mad enough to try would be the first to suss it out.

Brean is a good area, but again, the vis is sh1te.
Same with the Parret estuary

Hinkley may be a venue worth a recce

Porlock / Bossington another area that turns up good bass in the right conditions.

I would be looking at N. Devon / N Somerset border before I was really confident and that's where you came in.

Cheers
Steve
Thanks Steve - pretty much what I thought. I do wonder if it is possible to catch them on lures in the chocolate of the Bristol Channel?!?! Scented softies maybe??? I am researching going across to Wales as I think it is a tad closer and I have just fished in Gower and had a few so am convinced I do better with Welsh bass...

·
2,761 Posts
Hi Rob

I also live in Bristol. There are good bass to be had on your doorstep but only to bait. I wouldn't bother with lures until around Porlock and then only in good conditions. For lure fishing I normally head to the Gower or further west into Pembroke. Time wise, Gower, Portland / Chesil and South or North Devon are all accessable within 2 hours, Pembroke a little more.

Cheers
Yet another Steve

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
I think we need a Bristol-based pioneer like Rod Lugg to trial lures for several years to get a good idea whether plugging the upper Bristol Channel is a goer or not.

While he's doing that we can all fish Dorset, Devon, Wales etc. :)

·
2,761 Posts
I think we need a Bristol-based pioneer like Rod Lugg to trial lures for several years to get a good idea whether plugging the upper Bristol Channel is a goer or not.

While he's doing that we can all fish Dorset, Devon, Wales etc.
Like that idea :-D

Yep not far away from you Steve, Rod mentioned organising a beer one evening, shall look forward to that!

Cheers
YAS

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now all we need to do is sell the plan to Rod :)

Whereabouts in Bristol are you Rob?
Steve, Rod and me are all in N. Bristol (me in Stoke Gifford)

If we are getting together for a beer, as Steve says, do you fancy joining us?
If you are happy to have a lure novice join you then count me in. I am also in North Bristol in the leafy suburbs of Emersons Green

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Blimey Rob - We've got ourselves a N. Bristol posse

Could come in handy during the winter months when we are all suffering cabin fever and need some fishio-therapy

By the looks of the bass in your avatar, you can hardly call yourself a novice - nice fish.

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Blimey Rob - We've got ourselves a N. Bristol posse

Could come in handy during the winter months when we are all suffering cabin fever and need some fishio-therapy

By the looks of the bass in your avatar, you can hardly call yourself a novice - nice fish.

Cheers
Steve
i have really long arms thats all...

its the only decent bass that i have had - she has made me hungry for more!!!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
.......There are undoubtedly bass in the Bristol Channel up around the bridges and above, but I cannot imagine that anyone who is still sane has fished lures in the soup that is the Severn. Some big fish have turned up to bait anglers, but the visibilty (or lack of it) is the problem.

Then again, maybe someone who is mad enough to try would be the first to suss it out.......

Steve

I did hear of bass (from a reliable source) being caught on plugs from the Bristol Channel not far from the bridges. I did try it one evening a few years ago using surface poppers and although I didn't catch i did have a couple of 'swirls' near the plug. It is possible they may have been caused by mullet though. Can't be sure. Got a few strange looks from fellow anglers. Can't understand why!

A few weeks later I did try another experiment, this time with the fly rod, fishing a pool under one of the bridges an hour & a half before low water. I was mainly checking out the 'visibility' of the fly in the water. You will be surprised how 'visible' a large black deceiver type fly is in such dirty water. Two bait anglers were waiting with me for the tide to ebb so we could access the area to fish. One of them, a particularly mouthy individual, started telling me I was an idiot fishing such a dangerous area on my own, etc etc. I pointed out that I knew the area having sussed it out several times before and had spent some time watching the tide coming in and ebbing out (even timing it) where I was going to fish. Anyhow the tide cleared the bank and we went our separate ways. I didn't catch but this trip was more about experimentation than actual fishing. After an hour I ambled over to the two bait anglers who by this time were fishing on the tip of a narrow spit where the pool I was, emptied into the channel. They had caught one eel. As I lstarted to leave them the 'mouthy one' asked me what time low water was. Gobsmacked I told him the time of low water, informing him they had about 50 minutes to clear the area before the tide started to race in and they would be drowned. I went on to tell him that only bloody idiots would fish in the World's most second dangerours tidal range area without knowing the tide times".I left.

I have never been back there since but only because I live 40 miles away and it is not worth the expense of traveling there to pursue luring in the Bristol Channel but I am convinced for somebody living close by it would be worth having a go. Well that's my view but as you have probably gathered by now I am totally insane!!

I bet there were a few strange looks from people in cars traveling over the Severn Bridge seeing somebody fly fishing in the Bristol Channel.

David (Insane of Cheltenham)

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
I think it's about time we settled this once and for all.

There are enough of us 'locals' to give each other moral support and avoid any individual being picked on by hairy-arsed bait anglers if we sorted out a bumble stylee plugging session somewhere between Aust and Brean Down.

It's intreguing to think that there are probably good bass within 15 minutes of where I live and just because I can't see the bl00dy things doesn't mean they won't take a lure, especially as I've caught on all manner of lures in filthy water along the Dorset coast when the weather kicks up.

·
2,761 Posts
Could be an entertaining way of spending an evening or two though I suspect the men in white coats will have the final word ... though this is fishing and you never know :-?

·
Premium Member
8,741 Posts
i'll have some of all of that, when I've finished terrorising the kernow bass...not that they appear at all scared at the mo

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think it's about time we settled this once and for all.

There are enough of us 'locals' to give each other moral support and avoid any individual being picked on by hairy-arsed bait anglers if we sorted out a bumble stylee plugging session somewhere between Aust and Brean Down.

It's intreguing to think that there are probably good bass within 15 minutes of where I live and just because I can't see the bl00dy things doesn't mean they won't take a lure, especially as I've caught on all manner of lures in filthy water along the Dorset coast when the weather kicks up.
I think it needs to be done. 4 rods are better than one. probably wise to have a bit of man power on hand to drag each other out of the mud...

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
I quite fancy here - http://www.severnichthys.co.uk/fishing16.htm (Sand Point)

or the rough ground from Battery point back to the Portishead pier looks promising

http://www.severnichthys.co.uk/fishing07.htm

Further info. on Severn marks here - http://www.severnichthys.co.uk/fishing10.htm (Avonmouth and Aust)

and here - http://www.severnichthys.co.uk/fishing12.htm (Old Passage)

and I wouldn't be surprised if bass mooch around the sea wall at Kingstone Seymour - http://www.severnichthys.co.uk/fishing06.htm

Interesting that most marks not only mention bass, but have photos of decent fish caught by the author too :)

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
It all looks so promising except from the colour of the water. Still, you never know. I have bait fished at battery point. The water can move fast. Can see me casting out the lure and it being in Weston before i have the bail arm over and a retrieve started. A novel way of covering a lot of ground maybe???

·
Premium Member
8,741 Posts
lets just give it a go, we'd all be well chuffed to know we can get a bass locally, i love the travelling but it would be nice to have a bash half hour from home

we got one rod in gifford, one in emersons, one in stoke pk and me in winterbourne, we are the n bristol posse and i say we should go for it. lots of summer and autumn left and those school nights could produce a surprise, 4 rods are better than one, especially out there and I am afraid of no bait slinger that walks the earth....!!

pick a mark and we'll sort a trip next week! when I get back I'll sling some pm's about

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
we got one rod in gifford, one in emersons, one in stoke pk and me in winterbourne, we are the n bristol posse and i say we should go for it.
Going fishing with Chris from Frenchay today

When the time is right I'll catch him off guard and ask him if he's up for it too. :)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts